DaUnknownAdmin.Com
  • Welcome (Back) To DaUnknownAdmin.Com I've been able to restore the databases for DOFCH.Com, Freestyle.FM, and WhatChaMissin.Com. (There's also a tiny gaming clan forum.) You should be able to log in using your old login information. If you have forgotten it, you can reset your password. You can also use the facebook app to log in. Be sure to drop by our Roll Call Thread

If I helped you to log in by resetting your password, be sure to change the password at https://daunknownadmin.com/forums/index.php?account/security

The High Def Thread - Blu Ray and HD DVD

CPR_Jose_Ortiz

DOFCH.COM
DOFCH.COM
HDDVD is dead!

The words that broke my heart last year during CES 2008.

Since then Blu Ray has stepped up and finished up their profiles on the Blu Ray players and have actually caught up with HD DVD's technology.

This thread will be used to answer any questions for anyone trying to get in to High Def.

We will also use this for sales and recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfect.

I would also like to recommend the Sony BDP-S350 (or the S550, if you don't mind spending a little extra for analog multi-channel audio output).

The PS3 is still the best Blu-ray player on the market. It is what I use in my Living Room (also have a 7.1 set-up with an Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver). I moved my Toshiba HD-A2 into my bedroom and replaced it my Livign Room with the XBox 360 HD DVD add-on drive.

Avoid the Samsung players at all costs. I went through 2 BD-P1500s (one died about 2 weeks after I bought it and the 2nd was DOA). I've never had much luck with Samsung products at all, though. I narrowed my choices down to the Panasonic & Sony players. In the end, I got a decent deal on the Sony BDP-S350 (not as good as the rock-bottom Black Friday deals - but I paid about $240 for it) so that was my deciding factor. Oh and it's Profile 2.0 after a firmware update and the addition of a 1GB (or higher) USB flash drive. This player is in my bedroom.

Another place to find some great deals on Blu-ray discs (in addition to the $15 Warner titles at Best Buy and Target) is Wal-Mart. All of the older catalog titles from Lionsgate are $10 (T2, Total Recall, First Blood, Young Guns, etc.)

Then there are always the Amazon Gold Box Deals of the week. The regularly feature some mind-blowing deals on Blu-ray (like the $110 MSRP Die Hard Collection was only $38 a few weeks ago).

Hey CPR - do you have your collection posted on-line anywhere? Just updated my signature to include mine. My Blu-ray Discs and HD DVDs are sorted at the top of of the list. My standard def DVDs currently start at #269

No. I don't have my list.
I started one before but I haven't updated it yet.

I have to highly recommend the following TV Show on Blu Ray.

Dexter: Season One

Its on sale this week at Best Buy for $34.99
It is worth every penny.

Watching it again for the second time in high def has definetely had me glued to my seat.

Blue-ray baby, got the ps3 and boy those dammmm movies look good on my 50 inch 1080hd screen.. But yeah gotta have a blue-ray.. Sup to mall my freestyle heads!

I have to highly recommend the following TV Show on Blu Ray.

Dexter: Season One

Its on sale this week at Best Buy for $34.99
It is worth every penny.

Watching it again for the second time in high def has definetely had me glued to my seat.

Thanks. You know I've never see Dexter beyond a 30 minutes of an edited episode I caught on DirecTV's Channel 101 last Summer (and I am a Showtime subscriber!)

The characters are as complex and they are fun to watch.

Dexter is a sarcastic serial killer who also happens to be a cop.

There is not a better character on tv that is consistently living in the grey area like Dexter.

The best show on any pay channel.

The characters are as complex and they are fun to watch.

Dexter is a sarcastic serial killer who also happens to be a cop.

There is not a better character on tv that is consistently living in the grey area like Dexter.

The best show on any pay channel.

That's what I keep hearing. I pay for all of these channels and only end up watching a handful of shows on the same handful of networks. What makes my not watching Dexter thing odd is I watch Brotherhood, which is a lead-in to Dexter during their respective seasons. Though, I did get into to Tru Blood so that's my excuse for this past season (switching from Showtime to HBO at 9 PM). My DVRs are nearly filled up with stuff that I might not get around to watching for months. I've had my current DVRs since September 2008 (two DirecTV HR-21s) and have stuff dating back to September 2008 sitting on them, unwatched. The DVRs I had before had stuff over a year old on them that I ended up purging the night before I upgraded my equipment. :rotf:

I've been wanting to see Tru Blood...oddly enough, my professor was bragging about it and spent the first fifteen minutes of class discussing the first two episodes. Yeah.
That's what they are getting paid for. (rolling eyes). :rotf:

Anyhow. Dexter is a great show. Twisted. Bloody. And frackin' hilarious. It's up to you to decide if you think his killing is justified.
To me, he's a hero. :p

I've been wanting to see Tru Blood...oddly enough, my professor was bragging about it and spent the first fifteen minutes of class discussing the first two episodes.

And those first 2 episodes were the worst that the series had to offer. I (and a lot of other viewers) almost stopped watching after the 2nd episode. It really picked up in the third episode and just got better and better every week after.

The first season hits DVD & Blu-ray on May 12, 2009.

Season 2 is supposed to begin airing on HBO in June or July so you'll have plenty of time to catch-up.

Lost Season 3 and 4 are available on Blu Ray.
The best show on television looks amazing in High Def
Evangeline Lilly's freckles in 1080p 24 frame goodness.
(Yes. I know! Sawyer too!)

But its more than that.
Lost has been captivating and one of two shows (the other being Battlestar Gallactica) that will have you at the edge of your seat with holy sh*t moments for days.

The great part about Lost is the ability to watch it over and over again and look for the clues that you may have missed in your first viewing.

If you have a Blu Ray Player; You need to add Lost to your collection

PS: Season One and Two will be released this year

:xmask:
That's a no-no Rhoq. You better get on that. It took me awhile to start watching Lost cause I'm not one to jump in on all the hype...but when I saw the first 2 episodes...I was hooked. The writing is off the hook...a puzzle you'll want to see get solved (or not...depending on if you want this show to last longer than it should). I saw two seasons back to back on a week vacation. LoL That's all it took..

:xmask:
That's a no-no Rhoq. You better get on that. It took me awhile to start watching Lost cause I'm not one to jump in on all the hype...but when I saw the first 2 episodes...I was hooked. The writing is off the hook...a puzzle you'll want to see get solved (or not...depending on if you want this show to last longer than it should). I saw two seasons back to back on a week vacation. LoL That's all it took..

My TV habits are pretty much a set routine. Besides a handful of shows I watch on a regular basis, 75% of the time it's either Comedy Central or VH-1. What's worse is I am a DirecTV Premier subscriber (just about everything and all premiums) with the HD Extras package. I pay way too much a month to not watch much of anything. LOL

Can you send me that package? I'll be sure to use it. LMAO.
I lost all my frackin channels. Which only hurts the fact that I used to watch the L word religiously...and now I haven't seen the last three seasons. Gotta get me on dvd.
I've wanted to also see CRASH (the tv show)...I fell in love with the wit after the first episode. Dennis Hopper is INSANE and I love it. I just don't have any access to the damn show. GR

Can you send me that package? I'll be sure to use it. LMAO.
I lost all my frackin channels. Which only hurts the fact that I used to watch the L word religiously...and now I haven't seen the last three seasons. Gotta get me on dvd.
I've wanted to also see CRASH (the tv show)...I fell in love with the wit after the first episode. Dennis Hopper is INSANE and I love it. I just don't have any access to the damn show. GR

Never seen The "L" Word, but I'm pretty sure I've seen them running promos saying it's the final season. I have started to watch The United States Of Tara after catching the pilot episode on Showtime On Demand prior to it airing 2 weeks ago.

I've only seen bits & pieces of the movie Crash and haven't had a chance to watch the show. I keep meaning to check out an episode or two. Lately, I just don't see to have the time to do much of anything.

When you buy the Dexter Blu Ray you get the first two episodes of Tara on Blu included on the discs. You also get the first episode of the 3rd season as well.

I can't believe you don't watch Lost or Battlestar!
Please tell me youre not watching Rock of Love and who wants to swallow moose c*m. Oh! Lets not forget that "TOOL SHOW".

Back