DaUnknownAdmin.Com
  • Welcome (Back) To DaUnknownAdmin.Com I've been able to restore the databases for DOFCH.Com, Freestyle.FM, and WhatChaMissin.Com. (There's also a tiny gaming clan forum.) You should be able to log in using your old login information. If you have forgotten it, you can reset your password. You can also use the facebook app to log in. Be sure to drop by our Roll Call Thread

If I helped you to log in by resetting your password, be sure to change the password at https://daunknownadmin.com/forums/index.php?account/security

The High Def Thread - Blu Ray and HD DVD

When you buy the Dexter Blu Ray you get the first two episodes of Tara on Blu included on the discs. You also get the first episode of the 3rd season as well.

Cool. I'll probably hit Best Buy tomorrow. I'm loving the United States Of Tara,. BTW.

Please tell me youre not watching Rock of Love and who wants to swallow moose c*m. Oh! Lets not forget that "TOOL SHOW".

Neither. But that's not to say that anything I may or may not be watching on VH-1 is any less embarrassing. LOL

If you have a Blu Ray Player here are the movies that are a must if you want to get initiated into the club.

The Departed
Transformers
Iron Man
Spiderman Trilogy
The Incredible Hulk
Batman: The Dark Knight

Please start with these and let me know if you are ready for step two!

LOL!

If you have a Blu Ray Player here are the movies that are a must if you want to get initiated into the club.

The Departed
Transformers
Iron Man
Spiderman Trilogy
The Incredible Hulk
Batman: The Dark Knight

Please start with these and let me know if you are ready for step two!

LOL!

I have all 7 titles on your list though my The Departed and 300 are on HD DVD and I've got Transformers on both formats. ;)

Hell I've got 8 BDs coming from Amazon today, pushing my high def disc collection closer to that 300 mark. It's a disease! :rotf:

Last edited by a moderator:
My Departed, Transformers and 300 are all in HD DVD Format.
I'm watching the Departed on HD DVD right now.

I've bought Serenity on both formats as well since I got Firefly for Christmas.
This is the only movie I've dd on.

-----

A special note on Dexter Season One Blu Ray.
The special features on BD LIVE are NOT available.
False advertising.

Once you log on to BD LIVE all the special features are COMING SOON.
This leaves out the Dexter Season 3 episode 1 and the first two "...TARA" episodes out as well.

I still recommend the Blu Ray disc if you can get it on sale.

My Departed, Transformers and 300 are all in HD DVD Format.
I'm watching the Departed on HD DVD right now.

I've bought Serenity on both formats as well since I got Firefly for Christmas.
This is the only movie I've dd on.

I've DDed on a few of the Universal titles where both theatrical & extended appear on the BD vs the HD DVD featured one version in SD (like on Combo discs for Knocked Up, American Gangster) or King Kong which adds the extended cut, where the HD DVD only had the theatrical. Also, can't forget about the DTS-HD MA on the Uni Blu-rays.

Yeah. I know about that but I don't see myself dding too much.
After reading the review of Zodiac for Blu, I bought it for $8.00 on HD DVD.
Basically the same thing.

Yeah. I know about that but I don't see myself dding too much.
After reading the review of Zodiac for Blu, I bought it for $8.00 on HD DVD.
Basically the same thing.

Yeah, I'm only DDing on titles where I think the Blu-ray offers something more than the HD DVD. If the discs are identical (save for a DD+ vs lossless audio), I won't do it, except for Transformers because, well, it's Transformers! LOL

I paid $35 for the Zodiac HD DVD at best Buy the day it came out. Oddly enough - I was at a Circuit City the other day and they had 2 lone HD DVDs (Disturbia & Zodiac) mixed in with the Blu-rays. Too bad they're gone - I'd much rather have seen Best Buy go away.

I'm not a huge audio guy. I mean...I can just turn it up by adjusting the knob.
They are going to have to do alot more to get me to double dip.

I like Best Buy but I don't really buy there anymore unless there's a sale.
I never pay more than $20.00 for a Blu Ray movie

Those are the CPR rules.

I'm not a huge audio guy. I mean...I can just turn it up by adjusting the knob.
They are going to have to do alot more to get me to double dip.

I agree to a certain degree. While it doesn't take much to make me happy on the audio side - I do appreciate the complete High Def experience (AUDIO and Video). Stellar PQ is more important, but I've heard some very lousy DD5.1 tracks that sound like they were encoded in a metal garbage can, suspended underwater. With the high def formats capable of having lossless audio, and having a set-up that can take advantage of it, I am a believer on the audio front. None of my double dips have been because of lossless audio. All (except for Transformers) were purchased because they were an upgrade from their HD DVD counterpart (usually due to the inclusion of multiple versions of the film, in HD). Lossless audio was just a bonus on top of that for me. If the only difference between the HD DVD I already own and it's Blu-ray catch-up counterpart is lossless audio, I have no plans to double dip.

I like Best Buy but I don't really buy there anymore unless there's a sale. I never pay more than $20.00 for a Blu Ray movie

I don't mind Best Buy, but it's been a few years since they lived up to their name. The last 2 years - Circuit City consistently had lower prices about 80% of the time. Too bad their selection wasn't as robust as Best Buy. I mainly purchase from Amazon or Tower.com (mostly Amazon now-a-days, though). Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, MovieStop etc. are mainly impulse buys for me or if I have a gift card or RewardZone points to burn. While I have (and still do) paid more than $20 for Blu-rays, I average around $22.50 per disc. Which isn't too bad. BUT - there is no reason why anyone should pay such a huge premium for a Blu-ray, especially when it's DVD counterpart is half the price. I don't have a problem paying a $5 premium - but anything higher than that, I try not to.

Oh, one more double dip that I had forgotten about: The Matrix Trilogy. It was "free" with a promotion Amazon did back in November with the purchase of a Samsung BD-P1500. I went through 2 of those players, first one stopped outputting audio & video about a week after I got it. The replacement was DOA. Amazon ended up refunding all but $57 (for the Matrix box set) and I bought the Sony BDP-S350 at Circuit City instead. I've never had much luck with Samsung products.

I have two stores here that sell Blu Rays for $20 or less.
I wait until they get what I want and purchase from them.

I do like the Amazon buy two get one free deal.
I usually take advantage of those deals quickly.

None of my double dips have been because of lossless audio. All (except for Transformers) were purchased because they were an upgrade from their HD DVD counterpart (usually due to the inclusion of multiple versions of the film, in HD). Lossless audio was just a bonus on top of that for me. If the only difference between the HD DVD I already own and it's Blu-ray catch-up counterpart is lossless audio, I have no plans to double dip.

Scratch that - I just DDed on Clerks II just because I wanted all of my high def Kevin Smith titles on a single format.

You are a Kevin Smithy too?

Yup. I might DD as well!

I'm waiting for Chasing Amy. My favorite movie of all time.
Hurry Criterion! Hurry!

You are a Kevin Smithy too?

Sure am. Ever since I first saw the original Clerks. on PPV back in 1995. I'm hoping for Criterion to come through with Chasing Amy. I also hope Disney will find a way to justify a release of Jersey Girl. It's so under-rated.

Yeah. I agree on Jersey Girl.
I love the Will Smith twist to it.

I wonder if one can still get it on HD DVD?
I always wanted to order the Jap version but it was always too costly.
(Funny because I bought Rebellion, El Perfume, Running Scared and Reservoir Dogs)

Chasing Amy will be available on April 7th in Canada
Slumdog Millionaire will be available tomorrow

Lots of catalog titles will be released on April 7th as well

The Wedding Singer
American History X
Tango and Cash
Final Destination
Collateral Damage and John Q to name a few.

MY WALLET!

The Wedding Singer
American History X
Tango and Cash
Final Destination

MY WALLET!

I hear 'ya. Try to hold out on Chasing Amy though. You know as soon as you import it, Criterion will announce a proper Region A release. All of these releases done by Alliance seem to be bare bones as well (if you are someone who care about having special features).

I've got a lot of the April Warner and May Paramount catalogs pre-ordered as well, so the next few months are going to be quite tough on my wallet, too. I'm really looking forward to June 2nd for both Glory and Air Force One.

The Wedding Singer
American History X
Tango and Cash
Final Destination

MY WALLET!

I hear 'ya. Try to hold out on Chasing Amy though. You know as soon as you import it, Criterion will announce a proper Region A release. All of these releases done by Alliance seem to be bare bones, too (if you are someone who care about having special features).

I've got a lot of the April Warner and May Paramount catalogs pre-ordered as well, so the next few months are going to be quite tough on my wallet, too. I'm really looking forward to June 2nd for both Glory and Air Force One.

Hey CPR...

If the rumors are true - Kevin Smith mentioned in a recent interview that Miramax (Disney) will be realing both Clerks. and Chasing Amy on Blu-ray in July. 'Clerks.' is said to mirror the 10th Anniversary DVD (Clerks. X) and 'Chasing Amy' will include the 10th Anniversay Q&A.

wOw. Definite buys!
I'm also excited about the ENTIRE Battlestar Galactica Collection coming to Blu Ray soon. I just hope the price is not too high.

I purchased Slumdog Millionaire of course.
Definite buy. Great movie.

Thanks for the heads up Rhoq N Roll!

Not sure if this is the wrong thread for off subject r just way off lol, but I thought I seen a commercial for disney movies on blu ray and said that a dvd of the movie would be packed in. If so I think thats freakin awesome. This could really help push bluray even further if they decide to do this with all movies.

Back