• Welcome (Back) To DaUnknownAdmin.Com I've been able to restore the databases for WhatChaMissin.Com, Freestyle.FM and other sites. You should be able to log in using your old login information. If you have forgotten it, you can reset your password. You can also use the facebook app to log in. Be sure to drop by our Roll Call Thread

If I helped you to log in by resetting your password, be sure to change the password at https://daunknownadmin.com/forums/index.php?account/security

Top Ten Freestyle Songs of 2009 (JACKED!!!)

KidHeartbreak

Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
The Hip Hop (actually was supposed to be Hip/Pop) comes from the producer who's heavy into Hip/Hop & R&B POP, although his his discography suggestion he's more well rounded than that. However nothing indicates he's a Freestyle producer.

Yes, Freestyle did come from Electro Music and that's precisely my point. It's an Electro beat not a Freestyle beat and therefore not a Freestyle song. Just because Freestyle raped it doesn't mean it owns it.

Also Tiger is half Asian (one-quarter Chinese and one-quarter Thai), one-quarter African American, one-eighth Native American, and one-eighth Dutch. Just as with Freestyle, your focus is only skin deep. He is obviously more than Black but that's all you see.

You hear Freestyle because that's all you want to hear, I Electro/Hip POP because that's what it is. Much in the same way you see Tiger as a black man because that's all you want to see, I see as a multi-racial man because that's what he is.

You don't have to agree with me and I more importantly don't need you to. I see things are they are, not for what I want or need them to be.

I'll close out by saying you might want to ask yourself why this track never made it on to her album. There's a reason for that and it wasn't because it was ahead of its time or because there's a secret plot to hate on anything Freestyle by the industry.

The truth is out there you just have to be willing to accept it.
You bring up so many good points here and basically put into words something I had been feeling for the longest in regards to freestyle like music by mainstream artists. That's why I don't really want to put freestyle like songs by mainstream artists on my top tens of freestyle as most of those songs clearly have a distinctly different sound to them (sharing no resemblance to freestyle other than the breakbeat), were never intended to be freestyle in any way, those artists couldn't care less for our props, & probably don't know or care to know what freestyle even is). Once in awhile there might be a song by a non-freestyle artist that might lean a bit closer to the genre but for the most part this holds true for most of these mainstream freestyle like songs.

All this being said, freestyle in ultimate reality is a subgenre of electro hip hop and is thus going to share elements with other types of underground dance music. If one chooses to open their mind up and look to see freestyle in other types of music, they will surprisingly find a lot of it and that's what we have here. In all honesty, when I first started hyping up the freestyle like songs by mainstream/hip hop/r&b artists it was more to call out all the freestyle producers & artists who had insisted throughout the years that "freestyle" was what was holding them back. I meant it more for that purpose, not for it to replace hardcore freestyle in any way. I don't think I'd want freestyle to be mainstream, it would just ruin freestyle like it did with hip hop.

Last edited by a moderator:

CPR_Jose_Ortiz

DOFCH.COM
DOFCH.COM
How are Lady Gaga and Britney Spears in any way freestyle?
How is Erik Christian, Angel Moreno and Wilson in any way Freestyle?

Its ironic that this type of music is called Free-style but its the only music that fans want to keep in a box.

It's 2010 and our DNA is in all forms of music.
All of the versions played on our show are Freestyle.

You can listen tonight; Let me know what you think.

Of course not, we have them every year on different sites as far as I can remember, from Clubfreestyle to Latinfreestyle, from latinfreestyle to WCM, from WCM to NYF and from NYF now to here.

LOL, no I'm not. I said that out of respect for you. You're classifying it as Freestyle, so I'm addressing as Freestyle. I don't believe in using terms like crap and other colorfully metaphors just because I don't care for it. You like it and that's enough for me to respect it.

That said, it's also because that's been one of the urban legends of Freestyle which has been going on for years. That producers hate on Freestyle just because they get turned down. When in fact producers turn down other genres in greater quanities on a more frequent basis. It's not a hate on all things Freestyle, its more of a "Hey! I'm looking to get paid thing" and sadly Freestyle does not generate the kind of revenue they are looking for.

Oh and by the way, the reason the track didn't make on the album is because (and I'm paraphrasing here) they felt the track was dated and they thought it would adversly affect her career.

That would depend on how it was being marketed don't you think? But to answer your question, probably not because the minute I would have heard the planet rock beat I would have lost interest. What more can be said about another Freestyle release with the planet rock beat that hasn't been said hundreds of times already?
Lady GaGa on the other hand, now there's something worth discussing. Because just maybe there's something to this. What if more and more of these types of songs actually make it mainstream? Wouldn't that pave the way for Freestyle to get back into the game with the right type of production?

There's nothing wrong with dreaming is there?
Look Rafael, you could call it crap..mierda...basura.I won't take it personally ;)Especially,when you take into account the amount of train wrecks that are allowed to be play on all I-Freestyle stations. That's a not meant as a snide remark.I'm just being honest and I'm not singleling(sc) out any particular station.

The track has received over 200,000 hits on Youtube since November counting all the different videos out there. Everyone has gave it positive remarks and this includes her many fans who are used to hearing a different sound from her.

Life is too short to be a cynic. in 2003 Fergie,Black Eye Peas were sampling freestyle beats and no one paid attention,2006 mainstream started incorporating freestyle elements and still some of us ignored the trend. In 2009 we had straight up freestyle songs from mainstream artists but still some choose to be time warped and live in a perfect freestyle bubble. Which is fine,I hated the early 90 hip hop sound and I stay with the freestyle sound even though my friends moved on. So its all about what you like.

You bring up so many good points here and basically put into words something I had been feeling for the longest in regards to freestyle like music by mainstream artists. That's why I don't really want to put freestyle like songs by mainstream artists on my top tens of freestyle as most of those songs clearly have a distinctly different sound to them (sharing no resemblance to freestyle other than the breakbeat), were never intended to be freestyle in any way, those artists couldn't care less for our props, & probably don't know or care to know what freestyle even is). Once in awhile there might be a song by a non-freestyle artist that might lean a bit closer to the genre but for the most part this holds true for most of these mainstream freestyle like songs.

All this being said, freestyle in ultimate reality is a subgenre of electro hip hop and is thus going to share elements with other types of underground dance music. If one chooses to open their mind up and look to see freestyle in other types of music, they will surprisingly find a lot of it and that's what we have here. In all honesty, when I first started hyping up the freestyle like songs by mainstream/hip hop/r&b artists it was more to call out all the freestyle producers & artists who had insisted throughout the years that "freestyle" was what was holding them back. I meant it more for that purpose, not for it to replace hardcore freestyle in any way. I don't think I'd want freestyle to be mainstream, it would just ruin freestyle like it did with hip hop.
KHB,bruh you kill me lol. Do you play hardcore freestyler on the boards and away from the boards something else? I only ask because on the youtube video of Jay Sean's down (2rude oldschool mix) you commented and I quote "this is the direction freestyle should take" and then you ask them to send you an mp3 of the song. So please clarify your ambigiuous statements. ;)

Chuck

Who?
Staff member
Administrator
DOFCH.COM
FreestyleMania.com
ClubFreestyle.Com
NHBFreestyle.Com
FreestyleRemix.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
If there's a top ten list of threads jacked in 2010 I this one would be number 1 lol.

Chuck

Who?
Staff member
Administrator
DOFCH.COM
FreestyleMania.com
ClubFreestyle.Com
NHBFreestyle.Com
FreestyleRemix.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
How is Erik Christian, Angel Moreno and Wilson in any way Freestyle?

Its ironic that this type of music is called Free-style but its the only music that fans want to keep in a box.

It's 2010 and our DNA is in all forms of music.
All of the versions played on our show are Freestyle.

You can listen tonight; Let me know what you think.
I don't remember seeing anyone saying angel moreno is freestyle. As far as wilson, Im not sure how you could not consider "I was lost" anything but freestyle.

As far as Gaga and BS neither one have made a "freestyle" song. There might be a freestyle remix to these songs I have not heard yet that you might be reffering to so I really can't comment on them. As dar as the vieos posted in this thread, none of them are freestyle to me even though they might seem to have a few freestyle elements to them. To me there's a difference between trying to evolve freestyle to bring it closer to going back to mainstream and a mainstream song having some elements that make it freestylish sounding. People just wanna hear freestyle back on the radio so bad that they're willing to believe that something is freestyle when it isn't.

I respect everyone opinions and points and agree with most but not all. This is a healthy discussion and some good reading.

I do have one question for you though CPR. Why do you have two different #1 songs on both ur lists? I believe u had stevie B on ur top 25 and lady gaga here, just curious.

This is A healthy debate and I don't see it as anything else. I think the bigger problem in our community is hearing good freestyle when in all reality its a kareoke rendition on some cheap made beat. Lady Gaga's now way is not the problem. In fact,it could only help. To see it any other way is backwards. Somehow I feel that I am in the twilight zone. in the year 1988 of course. Ok that was a dig but it's all in good gesture lol.

Like Fergie raps in Boom Boom Pow.

I'm so 3008
You're so 2000 and late. :p

DaUnknownAdmin

Captain Casual
Staff member
Administrator
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Look Rafael, you could call it crap..mierda...basura.I won't take it personally ;)Especially,when you take into account the amount of train wrecks that are allowed to be play on all I-Freestyle stations. That's a not meant as a snide remark.I'm just being honest and I'm not singleling(sc) out any particular station.

The track has received over 200,000 hits on Youtube since November counting all the different videos out there. Everyone has gave it positive remarks and this includes her many fans who are used to hearing a different sound from her.

Life is too short to be a cynic. in 2003 Fergie,Black Eye Peas were sampling freestyle beats and no one paid attention,2006 mainstream started incorporating freestyle elements and still some of us ignored the trend. In 2009 we had straight up freestyle songs from mainstream artists but still some choose to be time warped and live in a perfect freestyle bubble. Which is fine,I hated the early 90 hip hop sound and I stay with the freestyle sound even though my friends moved on. So its all about what you like.
It never fails, whenever someone's points get deconstructed they always resort to dissing the station as if that magically validates what they're saying. It should go without saying that there's a big difference between a hobby iradio station and a commercial radio station. But I'll address it anyway, we're not here to generate revenue but rather to present the widest possible range of Freestyle (within the confines of our ability) to the members/listeners of our site/station. What you call a train wreck, someone else might call a masterpiece and visa-versa, its all subjective. We don't dictate to our members/listeners what's good or bad Freestyle, we leave it up to them to decide for themselves.

200,000 hits? that's it? Come on, I've seen people farting get more hits on youtube than that. William Hung - She Bangs got more hits in less time and people loved him too. Apparently you haven't been around the sites much because people have been talking about this for years. Does the term Urban Dance ring a bell? Also the reason her many fans probably like the track is because they themselves are Pop fans and unlike Freestyle that has continually looped the PRB, Pop has changed over the year and to them it's something different, they don't equate it with Freestyle.

Please provide me with a list of these straight up Freestyle songs from mainstream artists and I don't mean the unofficial unreleased Freestyle remixes that are being put up on a pedestal in this thread, I'm talking about walk into the store, can purchase the CD type releases. Go ahead, I'll wait. In the meantime I find it a bit ironic that would you try to classify people as being in a "time warp" when the very song you are hailing as the future of Freestyle is rocking a beat older than Freestyle itself and the record label has already rejected as being too dated. No mainstream artist/producer in there right mind are going to stand up and say Hello my name is "insert big time artist/producer name here" and I'm a Freestyle artist/producer.

Instead of fantasing about a day that will never come, I would much rather focus my energies on the Freestyle producers and urging them to incorporate more R&B, Hip Hop, Pop, Dance elements into their productions, you know making them more mainstream. We should be praising and supporting those that are trying and discouraging those that continue to release the defacto planet rock beat over and over and over and over and over again. But by all means if a geriactric beat is your idea of creativity and innovation, then feel free to show your love and support.

It's your right. ;)

DaUnknownAdmin

Captain Casual
Staff member
Administrator
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
This is A healthy debate and I don't see it as anything else. I think the bigger problem in our community is hearing good freestyle when in all reality its a kareoke rendition on some cheap made beat.
Well at least we finally found some common ground!

This right here is my pet peeve with current Freestyle releases. One PRB per album is acceptable and quite frankly to be expected. But 4 or 5 is just unacceptable to me. Even the single tracks that are out there are PRB laced abominations.

ROCK ROCK TO THE PLANET ROCK, PLEASE STOP! :eek:

KidHeartbreak

Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
KHB,bruh you kill me lol. Do you play hardcore freestyler on the boards and away from the boards something else? I only ask because on the youtube video of Jay Sean's down (2rude oldschool mix) you commented and I quote "this is the direction freestyle should take" and then you ask them to send you an mp3 of the song. So please clarify your ambigiuous statements. ;)
I was referring to how Jay Sean's song has someone rapping as a big part of the song and that's one of the reasons why that track was so popular. I think more freestyle productions should incorporate rap into them. That's the only thing that might give freestyle a chance ever again. That's what I meant by my comment.

CPR_Jose_Ortiz

DOFCH.COM
DOFCH.COM
I don't remember seeing anyone saying angel moreno is freestyle. As far as wilson, Im not sure how you could not consider "I was lost" anything but freestyle.

As far as Gaga and BS neither one have made a "freestyle" song. There might be a freestyle remix to these songs I have not heard yet that you might be reffering to so I really can't comment on them. As dar as the vieos posted in this thread, none of them are freestyle to me even though they might seem to have a few freestyle elements to them. To me there's a difference between trying to evolve freestyle to bring it closer to going back to mainstream and a mainstream song having some elements that make it freestylish sounding. People just wanna hear freestyle back on the radio so bad that they're willing to believe that something is freestyle when it isn't.

I respect everyone opinions and points and agree with most but not all. This is a healthy discussion and some good reading.

I do have one question for you though CPR. Why do you have two different #1 songs on both ur lists? I believe u had stevie B on ur top 25 and lady gaga here, just curious.
The songs on the Top 25 of 2009 are based on the listeners requests and feedback; My personal Top 10 is the one listed here.

Here are some questions for you;

Is Linear "Sending All My Love" Freestyle? Its slower than any of the songs listed on my top 10 but the song has been placed on the Freestyle pedestal hall of fame.

Why is it okay to have "FREESTYLE BALLADS" when there is no such thing?

You have admitted that there are Freestyle elements on these songs so why can't they be added to our play list?

I don't care if Freestyle makes it to the main stream; What I do care about is having something new and fresh to play for my listeners.

Chuck

Who?
Staff member
Administrator
DOFCH.COM
FreestyleMania.com
ClubFreestyle.Com
NHBFreestyle.Com
FreestyleRemix.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
I think more freestyle productions should incorporate rap into them. That's the only thing that might give freestyle a chance ever again. That's what I meant by my comment.
I do agree with you there. I've said before that if you can get a decent freestyle song and have someone famous do a rap in it, then you have a strong chance of bringing it back. We all know all the raps in the old freestyle songs by heart and all know they weren't good, some even go as far as to hate them. But all it takes is one good one to get radio play and introduce it to the mainstream to jumpstart something. I would just hate for the song itself to go too far from its roots and end up not sounding freestyle at all.

Chuck

Who?
Staff member
Administrator
DOFCH.COM
FreestyleMania.com
ClubFreestyle.Com
NHBFreestyle.Com
FreestyleRemix.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
The songs on the Top 25 of 2009 are based on the listeners requests and feedback and my personal Top 10 is the one listed here.

Here are some questions for you;

Is Linear "Sending All My Love" Freestyle? Its slower than any of the songs listed on my top 10 but the song has been placed on the Freestyle pedestal hall of fame.

You have admitted that there are Freestyle elements on these songs so why can't they be added to our play list?

I don't care if Freestyle makes it to the main stream; What I do care about is having something new and fresh to play for my listeners.
The songs on the Top 25 of 2009 are based on the listeners requests and feedback and my personal Top 10 is the one listed here.
Thanks, now I understand.

No it's really not freestyle in my opinion. Somewhere along the line people started calling it freestyle but I dont think it is. Honestly I dont really care though, it's a good song and one I grew up listening too and can play right along with freestyle.

Again I agree with you, there are ballads by freestyle artists but they are just ballads.

That's easy, because they are NOT FREESTYLE tracks. Thats juts my opinion. Again though, I have not heard all of these songs but I don't need to but am always open to listen.

wow, this is some great reading material.

i'm going to throw a curve ball in there what if it was the complete oppisite. what if Carlos Berrios, Willie Valentin or any our great freestlye producers, produced a song with any hip/hop or RnB artist, lets say like Tray Songz, Drake, Beyonce lady Gaga. (lol) Ect. Procducing it the way they want. would it be considered Freestyle or our fresstyle producers venturing out to other genre's of music?

i'm just wondering

CPR_Jose_Ortiz

DOFCH.COM
DOFCH.COM
That's easy, because they are NOT FREESTYLE tracks. Thats juts my opinion. Again though, I have not heard all of these songs but I don't need to but am always open to listen.
Honestly. Who determines what's Freestyle is anymore?
Its not the fans, producers or Artists; There is too much seperatism for that.

There are plenty of Freestyle based releases by main stream Artists
Here is an example;

Danity Kane "Damaged" - DJ Richie Rich X-Mix Remix released Jan of 2008.

And alot of people who are on your side of the fence Chuck always have the same answer. One that includes not ever hearing the song we are discussing and not feeling the need to.

I'm glad you are opened minded enough to give it a shot;
Its a step not many are willing to take.

Chuck

Who?
Staff member
Administrator
DOFCH.COM
FreestyleMania.com
ClubFreestyle.Com
NHBFreestyle.Com
FreestyleRemix.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
And alot of people who are on your side of the fence Chuck always have the same answer. One that includes not ever hearing the song we are discussing and not feeling the need to.
I didnt know we were talking about a specific song. Which one is that lol.

CPR_Jose_Ortiz

DOFCH.COM
DOFCH.COM
No specific song.

Just the same answer when discussing anything New School or Freestyle based.

It typically goes like this;

"I like the old school stuff, the new stuff is just not as good as the old stuff."
"Have you listened to the new stuff!?"
"NO!"
"Well how do you know its better?"
"I don't know it just is!!!"

Ok here is my third attempt atr typing up a response. I'm just going to cut it short.

Lady Gaga "No way" freestyle...I broke down musically how it was freestyle.If anyone wants to break itdown for me musically how it is not freestyle,then I'll continue.If not,then everything is just a matter of opinion.

I'm willing to revisit this topic in a year when we have more freestyle laced tracks break the mainstream by most likely mainstream artists.While the I-stations keep playing the amateur kareoke.