DaUnknownAdmin.Com
  • Welcome (Back) To DaUnknownAdmin.Com I've been able to restore the databases for DOFCH.Com, Freestyle.FM, and WhatChaMissin.Com. (There's also a tiny gaming clan forum.) You should be able to log in using your old login information. If you have forgotten it, you can reset your password. You can also use the facebook app to log in. Be sure to drop by our Roll Call Thread

If I helped you to log in by resetting your password, be sure to change the password at https://daunknownadmin.com/forums/index.php?account/security

The RED SOX NATION THREAD

shadowman

Freestyle and DDR Junkie
DOFCH.COM
Freestyle Nation
ClubFreestyle.Com
NHBFreestyle.Com
FreestyleRemix.Com
LatinFreestyle.Com
Since there's a thread of the Yankees, and the Mets, I decided to start one for the Boston Red Sox. Maria, Desi, Lupe, this is the thread for all RED SOX related stories, game summaries, trade rumors, etc...

LOL, I'm pinning this for you guys.

Poor you guys LOL Red Sox still suck!

they are still world champs until some other team wins it, and it wont be the Cubs, Mets or Yankees buahahahaahaha

Twice as nice for Ramirez, Red Sox
Boston slugger goes deep twice in Boston's 6-2 victory
By Mike Petraglia / Special to MLB.com

BOSTON -- The Manny Ramirez watch officially ended Saturday night at Fenway Park.
With two swings of the bat, the Red Sox slugger dramatically ended his early-season power shortage, smashing his first two homers of the season, driving in all six Red Sox runs and helping Matt Clement to his first win, a 6-2 decision over Tampa Bay at Fenway Park.

Ramirez, who hadn't homered in his first 10 games, ended the longest home run drought of his career to begin a season with a towering two-run blast off Tampa Bay starter Dewon Brazelton. The third-inning blast over the Monster seats in left erased a 1-0 deficit and gave the Red Sox the lead for good.

"We obviously need him, and hopefully he'll go through one of those streaks now where he'll put us on his shoulders a little bit," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said. "Because guys like him and David [Ortiz] are capable of doing that."

The Red Sox slugger then made history in the next inning, lining his 18th career grand slam off the light tower below the Coke bottles. The active Major League leader in grand slams tied Willie McCovey and Robin Ventura for third place on the all-time list. Lou Gehrig is the all-time leader with 23 and Eddie Murray is second with 19.

With his 40th career multi-homer game, Ramirez also moved up the Red Sox all-time home run list, moving past George Scott for 13th with 156 long balls in a Boston uniform.

"The first one -- I don't want to say it came out of nowhere -- but he check-swinged the first pitch and he looked a little frustrated," Francona said. "And then boom, he puts on a perfect swing."

"And then when he came up the next time, it's almost unfair, but you're sitting there thinking, 'He's got a chance to hit a home run right here.' That's how good he is."

Sox hitting coach and Ramirez confidant Ron Jackson said after Saturday's breakout game that he never sensed any frustration from his star pupil.

"No, never, but he kept saying, 'A lot of [media] around here are worried about me.' But I said, 'Man, I'm not worried about you,'" said Jackson. "This is my third year here, and the first year he got off to a slow start. And it's not how you start but how you finish. Good hitters are going to be there at the end."

Ramirez's six RBIs were the most for him since also driving in six Aug. 22, 2002, against Texas.

The Ramirez fireworks display was more than enough for Clement (1-0), who scattered seven hits and allowed one run over seven innings in his Fenway Park debut.

"Manny single-handedly won the game offensively," said the impressed Sox starter. "The way I look at it, with this team, if you don't let anything get out of hand, they're going to score runs. They're going to do the job. It was fun to sit in the dugout and watch what Manny did. That's pretty impressive, pretty easy the way he does it. It was fun to watch."

As for Clement, he followed an old real estate adage in earning his first Boston win.

"I think location was better tonight," he said. "The first two games, I was a little erratic. It's a process -- 35 starts. I'd love to every time go out there and everything be perfect. I didn't do the job the first two times as far as locating the ball. I was behind in the count. I was able to get out of a lot of jams in the first two games, which was big and something to build off of. Tonight went like I want to do every game. I want to make a conscious effort to get ahead in the count and make them beat me by hitting me."

Clement, earning an early-season reputation for pitching out of trouble, wiggled out of jams in the first, second and fifth innings. In the fifth, with runners on first and third, he struck out Alex Sanchez and got Aubrey Huff to pop out to third to end the threat.

"He was good," Francona said. "He didn't walk anybody. His stuff is good. The ball is moving all over the place. They chased some balls down and out of the zone. He cuts his fastball, and then he throws his slider. They just don't put the barrel of the bat on the ball."

"It was exciting. To get the first win every year is nice," added Clement. "Get it off your back. But I wanted the team to get a win. We didn't win the first two games I pitched and that's more important to me."

Brazelton (0-3) fell to 0-12 lifetime on the road, lasting just 3 2/3 innings while allowing six hits and six runs, walking six and striking out just one.

a tight race on the beggining! That should change within a couple of weeks.

And they still suck!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DJCaliente007 @ April 17 2005, 6:42 pm)]And they still suck!
You suck!!! LOL

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FreestyleChulo @ April 17 2005, 9:47 am)]Ramirez, who hadn't homered in his first 10 games, ended the longest home run drought of his career to begin a season with a towering two-run blast off Tampa Bay starter Dewon Brazelton. The third-inning blast over the Monster seats in left erased a 1-0 deficit and gave the Red Sox the lead for good.
Thank you Chulo for the article
He's a fellow New Yorker (and Dominican) so you better like him
laugh.gif

Its exciting to see Manny and Ortiz play. I'm starting to like Renteria (I call him my chocolate honey
laugh.gif
) he's incredible.

I missed their games this weekend cuz I was very busy, but I will try to watch them this week. I am so glad all those Yankee/Red Sox games are over they're so annoying and you can cut the tension with a butter knife. I also wanna watch the Celtics and I'm praying they make it all the way and win the championship (last one was 1986). I still miss Sunday night football.

Jeesh I'm turning into a freakin man...

It's about fing time Manny hit some out, btw those homeruns helped me win that category in fantasy baseball. Woo Hoo, go Manny!
booya.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rafael @ April 18 2005, 7:59 am)]It's about fing time Manny hit some out, btw those homeruns helped me win that category in fantasy baseball. Woo Hoo, go Manny!
booya.gif
thank you thank you, just glad I can help!.........
oh oops wrong manny
lol.gif
lol.gif

They still suck! lol I just love to bug you guys
biggrin.gif

'Pen writes an end to five-game streak
Ramirez and Oritz launch massive homers in 4-3 loss to Toronto
By Ian Browne / MLB.com

BOSTON -- Red Sox closer Keith Foulke stood at his locker and took the blame with a look of utter frustration on his face. He knew exactly why he didn't get the job done in Tuesday's 4-3 loss to the Blue Jays. He just wished he could have fixed the problem before it was too late.
Oh, Fouke is in tune enough with himself to know what went awry as he couldn't hold a 3-3 tie in the top of the ninth. But that knowledge only made it more annoying.

"It's all mechanics," said Foulke, who is 1-2 with a 4.50 ERA. "The other day, I went out there and felt great and things were definitely going in the right direction. But if I can't slow myself down, it's never going to get there. I know exactly what I'm doing. It's just correcting it, and I'm not doing it."

Foulke wasn't in the mood to dissect his mechanical flaws to reporters, but he is sure to do it internally until he next takes the ball.

The trouble started with one out, when Foulke hit Frank Catalanotto with a pitch and then walked Gregg Zaun. Shea Hillenbrand followed by hitting one through the hole and into left for a hit. Sox left fielder Jay Payton scooped up the ball and quickly threw to the plate. It appeared that pinch-runner Reed Johnson was going to beat Payton's throw, which was off line on the first-base side of the bag.

But Sox catcher Jason Varitek blocked the plate so well that Johnson missed it with his hand. Varitek then lunged over and tagged Johnson out before he could reverse back to the plate. However, Varitek's gem was only a temporary reprieve. Corey Koskie, who hurt the Sox all night, banged an RBI single to right that gave the Jays the lead from which the Sox could not recover in their half of the ninth.

"I feel like I'm going to get out of every inning," Foulke said. "I never sit there and think they're going to score. It doesn't matter what the scenario is. Not being able to get Koskie, that's the one that hurt."

That was the theme of the night, as Koskie (4-for-5) victimized every Boston pitcher he faced.

David Ortiz had staked the Sox to a 3-1 lead by hitting a mammoth two-run homer to right off Blue Jays ace Roy Halladay, snapping a tie in the bottom of the seventh.

But with the Sox six outs from victory, left-hander Alan Embree couldn't get the job done in the eighth. Koskie led off with a single into center. Then Vernon Wells belted a game-tying two-run blast that just cleared the wall in center.

"The pitch to Koskie was up and he was able to get it over the infield for a hit. And then I made a pretty good pitch to Wells, and he just hit it well," said Embree. "It was something that I couldn't take back. I wouldn't have pitched him any different. He got me. I tip my hat here. It was just a bad day. It's too bad, because Bronson [Arroyo] pitched a hell of a game and we got the home run that gave us a chance to win. And I come in and do that, and it's not acceptable."

The only man as detrimental to Boston's cause as Koskie was Halladay, who displayed the form that won him the Cy Young Award in 2003. The right-hander limited the Sox to four hits over eight efficient innings.

His only blip in the early innings was a breaking ball in the bottom of the first that Manny Ramirez obliterated for a titanic solo blast that traveled well over the Monster seats and perhaps beyond Lansdowne Street. The tape-measure shot was Ramirez's fifth homer in the last three games.

"Wow," said Sox first baseman Kevin Millar. "That was probably the furthest ball I've ever seen hit in my life. The guy is special. To get a chance to watch him, you don't want to miss a swing."

Unfortunately for the Sox, they didn't have Ramirez's swing for the late innings. Francona pulled him in the top of the eighth, citing the fact that Ramirez has been hobbled the last few days by an ailing quad.

Payton came up in a key spot in the eighth (two on, two out, tie game) and flew out to left.

"I would love to leave Manny in," Francona said. "His quad is bothering him. It was bothering him before the game, it was bothering him [Monday]. When he said he needs to go ice it, that's the thing to do. We didn't take him out for defense. That was health related."

One of the most positive aspects of the night was Arroyo, who turned in a strong performance, scattering eight hits but allowing just one run (a homer by Koskie) in his seven innings of work.

He enjoyed the competition against Halladay.

"I was sitting on the bench and it was like, you know, every four or five minutes, I was back on the mound," Arroyo said. "I felt like I had some pretty quick innings just because I worked out of some jams and didn't give up many runs."

The Sox completed their first homestand of the season with a 6-2 mark.

"If we go 6-2 on every homestand, we'll be pretty happy at the end of the season," said Payton. "But Halladay is tough. He pitched a great game today. Unfortunately, we came up on the short end."

STANDINGS

Team W L PCT. GB

Orioles 9 5 .643 -

Blue Jays 9 6 .600 0.5

Red Sox 8 6 .571 1.0

Yankees 5 9 .357 4.0

Devil Rays 5 9 .357 4.0

Clement superb in outdueling Lopez
Free agent pickup holds down powerful Orioles
By Ian Browne / MLB.com

BALTIMORE -- There seemed to be no conceivable encore for the gem David Wells fired at the Orioles in the first game of this two-game series. But then Matt Clement came along Thursday night and defied that logic, pitching his guts out and again stifling the normally potent Baltimore bats.
Clement outdueled Orioles right-hander Rodrigo Lopez in what was easily an April classic, lifting the Sox to a tense, 1-0 victory at Camden Yards. There were defensive gems on both sides of the field, early and late.

"It was a great game," said Sox first baseman Kevin Millar. "Both pitchers going out there throwing strikes, mixing speeds. That's a good baseball game. Good game for us to win."

Ultimately, Clement's mastery (eight innings, eight hits, no runs, one walk, seven strikeouts) proved to be the difference as the Sox reeled off their seventh win in their last eight games. Keith Foulke came on in the ninth to save it, giving the Sox back-to-back shutouts for the first time since April 25-29, 2004, when they had three in a row.

The Red Sox were giddy about being able to get out of Baltimore before the big bats of Melvin Mora, Miguel Tejada, Sammy Sosa, Rafael Palmeiro, and Javy Lopez liven up again.

"It was a good two-game series," said Sox manager Terry Francona. "Let them go beat up on somebody because they're too good of hitters for that to last."

In a game like this, it's only fitting that the only run came on an infield groundout. Millar set the stage in the second inning, banging a leadoff double off the wall in left. Jason Varitek tapped an infield hit to short, and Millar was able to scoot to third when Tejada's throw short-hopped Palmeiro.

With one out, Ramon Vazquez -- who was subbing for ill third baseman Bill Mueller -- fought off an 0-2 pitch and got Millar home with a groundout to second. The only run of the game was unearned.

"He gets the ball in play and gets us a run," said Francona. "If he doesn't make contact, we still might be playing."

Clement, meanwhile, was at his best on a night he needed to be. He is now 2-0 with a 2.13 ERA.

"For me, it was a fun game," said Clement. "To be able to win a 1-0 game, that's good. I was on the other side of a couple of them last year. It's nice to be able to come out on the right side of one."

This one was much tougher to come by than the 8-0 romp on Wednesday.

The Orioles nearly tied the game in the fourth. Palmeiro beat Boston's shift, dropping a soft single toward third base, where nobody was playing. With two outs, Jay Gibbons smacked a double into the corner in right.

Palmeiro ran hard, but the Sox executed perfectly to cut him down at the plate. Right fielder Trot Nixon relayed to first baseman Millar, who then fired to the plate, as Varitek laid down the tag perfectly.

Clement, backing up the play, got a front-row view.

"That was a tough ball in the corner that Trot got, and Kevin made a perfect throw," Clement said. "If he doesn't make that throw, if that throw is off at all, he's safe. What a huge play."

There was more drama in the Baltimore eighth. With two outs, Mora reached on an infield hit to shortstop. Then Tejada hit a little roller to Millar.

Millar charged toward Tejada and lunged at him, but the first base umpire said he missed the tag. Millar argued the play, saying that he tagged Tejada on the foot, but the play stood.

That meant that Clement had to bear down against Sosa, and he did, inducing him into a grounder back to the box, making his 110th and final pitch of the night a success.

After playing with the Cubs the last three years, Clement knows what Sosa is capable of.

"For me, it was just going at Sammy hard," said Clement. "I have to go at a great hitter like that. I got him on a cutter, and fortunately I got my glove up there in time."

For the second night in a row, the Orioles could do nothing but throw praise to the opposing pitcher.

"Clement was really good," Gibbons said. "You weren't comfortable up there, because he would sink one and then he would cut one. So if you were looking away, all of a sudden he throws one on your hands. And it looked like he was doing it all night and kept everybody off-balance."

And the Sox gladly tiptoed out of Baltimore before those big bats could regain their balance.

booya.gif

Back