DaUnknownAdmin.Com
  • Welcome (Back) To DaUnknownAdmin.Com I've been able to restore the databases for DOFCH.Com, Freestyle.FM, and WhatChaMissin.Com. (There's also a tiny gaming clan forum.) You should be able to log in using your old login information. If you have forgotten it, you can reset your password. You can also use the facebook app to log in. Be sure to drop by our Roll Call Thread

If I helped you to log in by resetting your password, be sure to change the password at https://daunknownadmin.com/forums/index.php?account/security

Sa-fire

Ted

Freestyle.FM Referee
Staff member
Administrator
DOFCH.COM
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Safire
Born Wilma Cosme in San Juan, Puerto Rico, Safire moved to East Harlem with her family as a child and spend her childhood years singing in school and church. By age 16 she was on her way to realizing that goal by paying for vocal lessons with an after-school job.
Safire's recording career began with a successful audition for an independent label, Cutting Records, which was seeking a young girl to sing a 12 inch single they planned to release. "Don't Break My Heart" was released by Cutting Records in 1986 and Safire was soon on the leading edge of the emerging dance music dubbed "Latin Hip Hop". Safire's second single, "Let Me Be The One", set her apart from her peers in another respect: she co-wrote the song. The single was released in 1987 and won immediate support in clubs around New York, Miami, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Texas, making Safire a national artist in the dance music.

With two successful singles under their belts, Safire and Cutting Records signed with Mercury/Polygram Records for the release of her debut LP in July of 1988. The first single, "Boy I've Been Told", written by music superstar Marc Anthony, was released as a 12 inch, and proved to be a raging success at all dance oriented stations, hitting #1 in Los Angeles, New York, Chicago and Miami. It also reached #3 on Billboards 12 inch sales chart and remains one of the strongest re-currents at radio stations across the country. With the support of Polygram, Safire confirmed her position as a legitimate national artist with strong star power. Her live performances were consistently sold out and her name became synonymous with Latin Hip Hop and Freestyle music.

The next single, "Thinking of You", brought about more dramatic changes in the development of her career as the Safire-penned ballad crossed over into the pop market. The single went top 10 on almost every chart and truly brought her into the worldwide limelight. The song was a very personal song written in memory of one of her strongest supporters, her uncle, Mario Santiago, who passed away from AIDS in 1986. "Thinking of You" recalled the emotions that ran through her mind as she made the initial steps without his support.

1989 saw Safire's achievements recognized as she won the New York Music Awards for Best R&B Debut Artist. Her success continued in 1990, when she received New York Music Awards for Best R&B single for "Thinking of You", and for Best Latin Female Vocalist and an ASCAP Award for "Thinking of You", as it was cited as one of the year's most played titles on the radio. In 1996 she explored a new path as she rekindled her ties to traditional Latin music in the form of Salsa and effortless blended it with the infectious sounds of Hip Hop, the end result being a groundbreaking album. "Atrevida" boasted many of the worlds' most talented musicians in the realm of Salsa.

Safire is back! After a recording break of almost six years, she is ready to rock the stages. "Don't Break My Heart", is the first single from her forthcoming Album, "BRINGING BACK THE GROOVE". How can we forget that hooky radio smash that put her on the map! Now with the incredible production and remixes by Tony Moran and Kenny Diaz, the Queen of Dance brings to her fans a reconstructed version of her smashing hit.

for more info: www.feverrecords.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Sa-Fire Bio

Sa-Fire was born Wilma Cosme, 1967 in San Juan, Puerto Rico. She grew up mostly in East Harlem and began her singing career as a session vocalist.
Contents

Music career

Sa-Fire was discovered at an audition for Cutting Records. While she did not have massive pop chart success, she is nevertheless considered an important part of the success of Freestyle music and remains one of the most recognizable names in Freestyle. Her debut single "Don't Break My Heart" (1986), remains well regarded by Freestyle music and Club/Dance fans. "Let Me Be The One" (1987), her follow-up single, proved to be a bigger hit than her debut. "Boy I've Been Told" the first single from her debut album crossed over to pop radio and became her first pop hit reaching #48 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The song was the #1 selling single in New York for twelve straight weeks and the #1 song on the old Hot 97 radio station in 1988. The song topped the charts in all of the major radio stations throughout the United States.

Sa-Fire scored her most commercially successful hit with the ballad, "Thinking of You" in 1989 when hit peaked at #4 on the Adult Contemporary chart and at #12 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song was translated into Spanish (as "El Recuerdo de Ti") by the singer/actor, Ruben Blades.

In 1989, Sa-Fire and "Thinking of You" were featured in a public service announcement commercial for AIDS awareness. The commercial was seen on Spanish language TV across the U.S. and Latin America.

Those hits and others helped her debut album, Sa-Fire remain a strong seller for years. The album peaked at #84 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums and at #79 on the Billboard Hot 200. Other singles by Safire that charted on the Billboard Hot 100 include "Gonna Make It" and "Made Up My Mind". Safire was fortunate to have a major record label behind her to push her career forward.

Sa-Fire has been featured in various magazines, such as U.S. Magazine, Billboard, Vogue, Elle and was the first Latina to grace the cover of Spin Magazine. She has also appeared on television programs such as American Bandstand, Pat Sajak Show, Joan Rivers Show, Latin Connection, MTV International, Party Machine, PM Magazine, and Entertainment Tonight. Sa-Fire has performed throughout the United States, Japan, Europe, Caribbean and South America. She has won numerous awards, including six New York Music Awards, three Desi Awards and an ASCAP award for writing "Thinking of You," which was cited as one of the most played songs on radio.

Sa-Fire was given a lifetime achievement award at radio station WKTU's "Freestyle free 4 all" concert in Atlantic City in 2007.

[edit] The 1990s

In 1990, she remade "I Will Survive" for the soundtrack of the film, She-Devil, incorporating a house and rap element into the 1970s disco hit.

In 1991 Sa-Fire was featured in "A Christmas Message" with labelmates Vanessa Williams and Brian McKnight, with her rendition of the Christmas classic "Joy to the World".

Although Freestyle music had begun to wane in mainstream popularity in the early 1990s, Sa-Fire counteracted this by releasing the house song, "Taste the Bass" as a single from her second album, I Wasn't Born Yesterday. "Taste the Bass" peaked at #6 on the Hot Dance Music/Club Play chart. The lead single, "Made Up My Mind" was an immediate success within the dance music and urban music communities, peaking at #9 on the Hot Dance Music/Club Play. However, the song stalled at #80 on the Billboard Hot 100.

During the mid 1990s, after a short hiatus, Sa-Fire returned with a Spanish language album, Atrevida. However, this first try at a salsa album was not commercially successful.

[edit] The 2000's

After another hiatus, Sa-Fire announced the release of her new album, Bringing Back the Groove, in 2001. The album featured a cover of the New Edition hit, "Can You Stand The Rain", featuring Cynthia. The single sparked moderate dance and urban format radio airplay. The album's second single, "Don't Break My Heart 2002," peaked at #3 on the Hot Dance Music/Club Play.

As of 2007, Sa-Fire continues to tour, as well as produce and write for other artists. She also plans to release two singles, and is currently putting the finishing touches on a dance album and a Latino rock album. Sa-Fire is also working on a 2008 calendar and a documentary.

2008 - Her new single "Exotique" is expected to be release by late spring/early summer.

[edit] Discography

[edit] Albums

* Sa-Fire (1988) Mercury Records
* I Wasn't Born Yesterday (1991) Mercury Records
* Atrevida (1996) Sony International
* Bringing Back the Groove (2001) Globestar

[edit] Singles

1986 "Don't Break My Heart" Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales #31
1987 "Let Me Be the One" Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales #26
1988 "Boy I've Been Told" Hot Dance Music/Club Play #13
1988 "Boy I've Been Told" Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales #3
1988 "Boy I've Been Told" The Billboard Hot 100 #48
1989 "Gonna Make It" Hot Dance Music/Club Play #31
1989 "Gonna Make It" Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales #20
1989 "Gonna Make It" The Billboard Hot 100 #71
1989 "Love Is on Her Mind" Hot Dance Music/Club Play #29
1989 "Love Is on Her Mind" Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales #18
1989 "Thinking of You" Adult Contemporary #3
1989 "Thinking of You" Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales #26
1989 "Thinking of You" The Billboard Hot 100 #12
1990 "I Will Survive" The Billboard Hot 100 #53
1989 "I Will Survive" Hot Dance Music/Club Play #30
1989 "I Will Survive" Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales #37
1991 "Made up My Mind" Hot Dance Music/Club Play #36
1991 "Made up My Mind" Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales #7
1991 "Made up My Mind" The Billboard Hot 100 #82
1991 "Made up My Mind" Hot 100 Airplay #60
1991 "Taste the Bass" Hot Dance Music/Club Play #6
1991 "Taste the Bass" Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales #4
2001 "Can You Stand the Rain"
2008 "Exotique"

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved this bio!

I am a big fan of Sa-fire (obviously lol) and was very happy to read the more updated information you had to share. Thanks!!

Love the Sa Fire!!

DJ Dee X-M:)n

Big fan of safire... no doubt he is a legend in the music industry itself....big ups

Sa-Fire(Sexiest Voice in Freestyle)

Wow! Haven't heard about this Woman in years. I've been away from the fressstyle world since 1993. Been on my HipHop Tip. But Sa-fire is a Fire Starter with that voice of hers. She melted me with that joint "LOVE IS ON HER MIND" it was a instant classic back in the day. This was right around the time of the begining of the 1990's. Though it was the late 1980's when she spit flames from her sexy toned self. But damn she was another favorite in my book of Female Freestyle Singers. I would run the hell out of my cassette tape I had of her first album. She is a definite heartbreaker when she sings. Gotta LOVE me some Sa-Fire. One!!!

Though it was the late 1980's when she spit flames from her sexy toned self.

She is a definite heartbreaker when she sings. Gotta LOVE me some Sa-Fire. One!!!

I always loved sa-fire's voice!:bowdown:

Back