DaUnknownAdmin.Com
  • Welcome (Back) To DaUnknownAdmin.Com I've been able to restore the databases for DOFCH.Com, Freestyle.FM, and WhatChaMissin.Com. (There's also a tiny gaming clan forum.) You should be able to log in using your old login information. If you have forgotten it, you can reset your password. You can also use the facebook app to log in. Be sure to drop by our Roll Call Thread

If I helped you to log in by resetting your password, be sure to change the password at https://daunknownadmin.com/forums/index.php?account/security

Question for all

Ted

Freestyle.FM Referee
Staff member
Administrator
DOFCH.COM
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Ok I have been thinking about this for a while, So for the non-DJs' a quick review before I ask my question. When a someone starts out learning how to DJ, they start with the very basics and at times those basics are the most important. They 1st. learn a songs structure.. Intro...Vocal...Break..Vocal ...break/outro... something along those lines ..some songs seem to change a bit but for the most part they are consistent.
Then the DJ learns the basic in Beat Matching and Phrasing.. i.e... 4 beats = a bar 4 Bars = a phrase..so on and so forth. The very first mix a DJ will put together is a simple beat or blend mix.. Standard is normally you mix the intro of the new record with the outro of the old record playing. (This is really simplified here it's takes allot more than I'm sharing).

After this then they will get more advanced and get into sampling and mixing samples i.e... beats and vocal acappella into other songs.
Then one of the hardest mixes are the Mega Mixes.. where a DJ will only use quick portions of a track in an attempt to mix and blend seamlessly with another track.. normally doing this in about 1/4 of the time they would normally use. So when a standard mix is done the original way you will be able to mix maybe 10 or 12 track in a one hour mix, where as with a megamix you may fit up to 40 track samples in one hour. Some DJ also refer to this type of mix as Production mixes or mashups, since these really cannot be done without the use of some type of equipment, either old school Reel to Reel or computer software. (If they are done live it is usually rehearsed kind like a show tape mixed over and over till it's memorized like the turntablist do)
NOTE: If a basic mix is done right it can sound better than a mega mix.

Ok, now that you know what the basic levels of DJing are what types of mixes do you enjoy better. The basic beat mixes or Mega Mixes.

Last edited by a moderator:
A megamix, where different beats & acapellas are mixed up together, is more of an a skills entertainment production.

Simply mixing songs is also entertainment, but does not really demonstrate a DJ's skills.

I find megamixing more entertaining. That's what a live show is for in my opinion. For a DJ to entertain with his skills.

When I'm blown away by awesome scratching or the use of effects, I feel more entertained.

With the equipment & software out there today, anybody can beat mix smoothly , if they learn hou to use the software.

Well Ted first of all on my one hour show the songs I play are more in the 25-30 range then 10-15.

What we do is a weekly show so it is not as easy as a DJ just going on 1 time and blow by all his songs in a two hour period. We can not do that since we want to keep our shows as fresh as possible and doing that would mean we constantly we be over playing the same songs.

Yes mashups and mega mixing is more entertaining to the listeners. I remember in the old station I was at DJ Shy made a special appearance and did a two hour show, for those of you who have never heard DJ Shy just type his name on U-tube and see what he brings to the table. His skills will blow you away with all the scratching he does. But to do that on a weekly basis would mean overplaying some songs. This is why I try to keep it at a range of about 25-30 songs an hour or less. Having acappellas, dubs, and instrumentals of songs really helps. This is why long ago, I started to not only record the actual song but all other cuts on the vinyl also. I like to mix in accapellas into other beats and this did help long ago.

If you are doing a one time thing mashups are really great but when you have to bring it weekly to the listeners you should have or look for fresh songs and playing many songs on your list does not make it so easy.

I like all types of mixing and scratching. Most DJ's like megamixes because theres lots of mixing in it (like I like). Most people would enjoy most of the song being played. I like both. I enjoy all scratching and mixing! (As long as you got skillz)

I like doing both during my events, especially if a track starts with just a vocal you throw that over the current playing track, then let the original beat fall in, it usually gets people going...

So I say incorporate both into your sets...

Well Ted first of all on my one hour show the songs I play are more in the 25-30 range then 10-15.

What we do is a weekly show so it is not as easy as a DJ just going on 1 time and blow by all his songs in a two hour period. We can not do that since we want to keep our shows as fresh as possible and doing that would mean we constantly we be over playing the same songs.

Yes mashups and mega mixing is more entertaining to the listeners. I remember in the old station I was at DJ Shy made a special appearance and did a two hour show, for those of you who have never heard DJ Shy just type his name on U-tube and see what he brings to the table. His skills will blow you away with all the scratching he does. But to do that on a weekly basis would mean overplaying some songs. This is why I try to keep it at a range of about 25-30 songs an hour or less. Having acappellas, dubs, and instrumentals of songs really helps. This is why long ago, I started to not only record the actual song but all other cuts on the vinyl also. I like to mix in accapellas into other beats and this did help long ago.

If you are doing a one time thing mashups are really great but when you have to bring it weekly to the listeners you should have or look for fresh songs and playing many songs on your list does not make it so easy.

Good lord no!!!
Doing mega mix type shows everyweek will be exhaushing and very time consuming.. I would never attempt it..lol My question is more for the general listener..I like megamixes but in moderation..lol.. If a Dj can put a set together with straight blends that keep me interested I'll all for it...keeping the crowed entertained is a whole other skill the dj has learned..lol

Good lord no!!!
Doing mega mix type shows everyweek will be exhaushing and very time consuming.. I would never attempt it..lol My question is more for the general listener..I like megamixes but in moderation..lol.. If a Dj can put a set together with straight blends that keep me interested I'll all for it...keeping the crowed entertained is a whole other skill the dj has learned..lol

I could not agree more Ted. A lot of DJs think the crowd is there for them. No, the crowd is there for the music....all we are doing is pressing play. Of course it takes some skill to press play and keep it sounding smooth for three hours. Skill, and lots and lots of practice.....

Great topic Ted

I never was a big fan of megamixes. I believe a dj should have a set from beginning to end with great tracks blended so well you don't know when one track is ending or the other one is beginning. Especially freestyle, these songs need to be played in full and enjoyed to the max. I feel like I am getting ripped off with a megamix, never liked them, my wife hates em even more, we will be listening to a great song, then we will be like "yeah I love this song" and all into it and shit, then baam the dj is already mixing out of it....rip off...:mad:...

A really great dj to me is some one who boggles my mind, and I am a dj, so I can usually pick up everything, but when a dj is so good in blending that you don't know what the fuck he is doing, to me thats a great dj...there are very few of these kind of dj's.

As far as mixing style goes, I like very loooong mixes, I am not a fan of bringing in a song real quick and sudden, I like smooooothe subtle mixes that quite frankly just blow my mind...I also like when a track is brought in, they are both going together, but then with such perfect timing you bring it back out, then let the first song play, then bring it in again. Also I use an intro on every single mix I ever do, it gives a dj character...again there are impatient closed minded people who would rather skip right thur it and get to the the music, but as long as its not too drawn out an intro should always be used. I never used drops, not once. I do plan on in it soon, but one thing I promise is to never wear em out, a drop should only be added a few times in a mix 60 minutes or more. I used to go to NY alot for one of my old jobs, I used to listen to Hot 97's "old school lunch hour" by Funkmaster Flex, such great classics were played, but what i friggin hated sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much was how in an hour he would drop "yeah yeah, this is funk flex" 2-3x's in the middle of every single song he played, it used to kill me.

Not that I am even close to great, but my trademark is doing as long of a mix as I can, using timing judgements from knowing a track...#1 rule of a dj, know your records....#1 rule hands down...I think I got the long mixing style from learning how to mix trance, as with trance some of my mixes go for 3-5minutes beatmatching 2 records together the whole time, trying to make something different of it.

Now when I make a mix I have to record onto cd, so all my sets go as close to 80 minutes as possible, I want to give the listener a journey, not a quick mix, but something that they put on in their car and listen to from beginning to end, or on their Ipod while working out, something that they want to make copies for their friends and give away and talk about. Alot of people are closed minded when it comes to club music and just want to hear the "big tracks" and strictly vocals, my taste is more deep, I like to use dubs, instrumentals, and I try to add crazy samples to make it even more interesting. I like alot of the less popular freestlye in a way, not just the big names, but songs like "Crying in the Dark" by Julian Vilante, "Trouble Love" by Dleaio Twins, "Why did you quit on me" by Bernardo. I think thats what makes this site so great, most of the people on hear are so well "edjucated" in freestyle and are not the typical, I only know Johnny O, Little Suzy, Steveie B music, but their love for the genre goes much deepr than that, thats why this site is awesome. I like buying mix cd's from regualr dj's, instead of those "megamixes" you see in Tower records with nothing but the big names that have usually like 30 tracks or more, ripping right thur one song to another...not for me...

Back in the day when I would buy mix tapes, some dj's would have like volumes 1 thru 30, so to do that they would have to use what i call "filler songs" so they could make so many, so they would use shitty songs in between, but you had to buy that tape for a couple of great songs. I would rather have just 6-10 great volumes with nothing but the best tracks, never having to fast forward to get to the good song. Also I would never play a song that I don't like, thats why I never got into full mobile djing. Nothing at all against djing a wedding, but it was never for me, thats why I advertised a certain theme, and only did bars, clubs, block parties in the city, and special events that required club music or old school rap, insane raves too where I played freestyle, house, and trance for over 8 hours. I usually djed every Fri and Sat, and I never did one wedding, or similar event. I had so many people ask me if I could dj their wedding after one of my gigs, I had to explain to them how I don't do weddings, I am sorry but I don't even have the music for a wedding. I think them mobile dj's are the most comlpete and well rounded though, myself I am strictly house, trance and freestlye with old school party rap. I could never play most of this new music thats out today (MTV generation), I could never play the chicken dance, or "the macarena", or worse yet country music, I would rasher shoot myself. I just wouldn't enjoy being a dj. I also never used a mic, I spoke to the crowd thru my music. It would be funny when some one would come up and say, hey can you give me a shout out, or say this for me and I would have to say, "sorry, I don't have a mic"...lol...a great dj should be able to hold a dancefloor thru his music, not by talking them into dancing...just my opinion...

These are all my opinions, I know they seemed very strong, for some reason this topic really got me thinking....please no offense to anyone, just my opinions...djc.

I could not agree more Ted. A lot of DJs think the crowd is there for them. No, the crowd is there for the music....all we are doing is pressing play. Of course it takes some skill to press play and keep it sounding smooth for three hours. Skill, and lots and lots of practice.....

God Bless you Ted, I could never do it. I wouldn't be happy. I was close to getting into it, as I had all the equipment, but I never did. I am more the kinda dj where the crowd comes to hear a certain kinda music. What you do takes even more skill as you really have to know every single genre and you have such a mixed crowd, its probaly impossible to please every one.

Me, I mainly did bars and clubs, people came to hear club music, so in a way I had it easy, I still had to work the danefloor and all, but being able to play music that I loved for people wholoved club music was the most satisfying job I ever had in the world, i truly truly miss that feeling...djc.

What you do takes even more skill as you really have to know every single genre and you have such a mixed crowd, its probaly impossible to please every one.

Damn Coast, that was one big ass post! LOL..... but I know where you are coming from. I have been in both sides of the field. One as a club jock on Fridays and on Saturday's I did a ballroom for private events. At this place which I owe a lot to which it gave me the opportunity to play for 15 years to guests from all over. Puerto Ricans, Colombians, Haitians, Jamaicans, Italians you name it, I played it. I have worked every Friday Saturday and Subnday at this hall and played countless weddings, Quinces, baby showers, bridal showers, graduations, you name it. It is not as easy as one thinks to please everyone in the room but we have to try to please the majority of the guests. True, people at a club go to dance and many times they do not care who the dj is. They just want to go meet people and drink their asses off. But at a mobile event it is a different story. Your Mic is your best friend, that is what will separate you from your competition. Anyone can hit play and play from a play list chosen by the host but to entertain different guests from different places and make the non dancers dance and the dancers dance even more, takes a lot of experience which is gained by studying our craft, reading and watching other DJs perform.

I have been at it for many years and to this day, i learn with every event I do. That is why it bothers me when new DJs break into the scene and think they know it all until you place them out of their comfort area. They wouldn't know how to adopt to a situation and act as if they know more then anyone. At the hall I often was asked if another DJ can play the event and I will be present but will allow this DJ to play because he was a great club DJ. Almost all the times this happened the club DJ did not know how to adopt to the situation and many times I had to step in and either play a certain song for him or find out why the sound cut out. And on the contrary, I have also seen Mobile DJs play at clubs the same old trash they play at Weddings and not make it to another night. So I feel where you are coming from, it is two separate animals. It takes a real talent to pull both off without a flaw.

Me, I love my mobile gigs, I play my 4 hours which really is 2 hours of dance, 1 hour for setup and 1 for tear down, collect my 600-800 dollar check and I am off to next week, then having to put up with the owner or promoter play until the wee hours of the next day. Been there done that, no more for me. I only pick and choose the mobile events I want to play, if it is not for me I pass it to another and get a cut.

I love both a MegaMix and Straight Up Blends. A true DJ should be able to do both, albeit at different levels.

What I don't like is a DJ that just throws in random sound effects or doesn't really know how to use the fader properly. Beat matching is key but you get no points when you're transitions consist of only 4 - 8 bars. Those should be cut not faded. Generally speaking, Time is precious. This goes double in mixing. You can be the words greatest dj when it comes to megamixes, or and match a beat for eternity, but if you have no timing then you have no game.

But my biggest pet peeve is reserved for those that like to use other djs mixes as their own or duplicate them. Big Booooooooooo!

You can be the words greatest dj when it comes to megamixes, or and match a beat for eternity, but if you have no timing then you have no game.

yes, timing is everything, right now, as I said before, I am having trouble keeping the beat as I am trying do very long mixes, but when they hold the timing is sweet. I think I work on timing more than anything else, its the most important element of a mix to me. I am using very shitty speakers as i sold all my mobile gear, I need a good set of monitors really bad, and my left deck is off after doing a test I noticed the 3rd dot down drifts back and forth when at pitch 0. I am sending them away for a tune up and repair very soon. So far now call me "Dj Pitchrider"...lol...

I never was a big fan of megamixes.

I was a little too harsh in saying this, I do want to say that I enjoy hearing other dj's skills as far as megamixing goes, its just when it comes to buying a mix cd or downloading a mix I prefer to get the whole song. I remember when them popular megamix cd's came out by Bad Boy Joe or Bill I forget, I was excited and after listening to it was pissed as he cut off some major songs before they even got the good part.

One megamix, kinda one in a way that I absolutely love and can listen to everyday is the Night at the edit block. To me thats the best piece of reel to reel work I have ever heard, absolutely amazing. I now have 4 copies of that record, one is still sealed.

Damn Coast, that was one big ass post! LOL...

...:D...I know, lol, I can't type for shit, it took forever to post that one, but thats my true feeling on the subject, althogh I went off on like 5 different tangients...lol...I don't know what got into me...good thread here guys...djc.

I LOVE a long blend. Mine start at 32 beats, and only get longer from there. If you have the skillz for live mega mixing loose your mind. If you don't, do not even attempt it.

BTW Coastie....I'm Terry, not Ted...:rotf::rotf::rotf:

I LOVE a long blend. Mine start at 32 beats, and only get longer from there. If you have the skillz for live mega mixing loose your mind. If you don't, do not even attempt it.

BTW Coastie....I'm Terry, not Ted...:rotf::rotf::rotf:

OMG....:rotf::rotf::rotf:...Terry I can't believe thats two days in a row, I don't know why I keep doing that, I am rolling right now...wow...slap me silly...sorry bro...

For me it depends. When I'm riding in my car or working out I prefer mega mixes. But going out partying I want to hear straight up good blends. :cool:

Call me old school but I can't get into the whole mashup thing. I believe it is better to improvise than have a set routine. With many mashups you setup yourself up for doing the same mix over and over again. :(

NOTE: If a basic mix is done right it can sound better than a mega mix.
Absolutely! There nothing better than a blend without a noticeable transition.

dam greg you took up the whole thread :rotf: i agree though.i like the megamixxes cause you get a huge assortment of songs but i wanna hear the whole song.i love the special effects and scratchin when it's not over done, and i love not knowing whats coming up like when a dj plays a song then starts another and then brings the song back again or when they play with the accappella.ass long as they got skillz, i'll love it.

For me it depends. When I'm riding in my car or working out I prefer mega mixes. But going out partying I want to hear straight up good blends. :cool:

Call me old school but I can't get into the whole mashup thing. I believe it is better to improvise than have a set routine. With many mashups you setup yourself up for doing the same mix over and over again. :(

Absolutely! There nothing better than a blend without a noticeable transition.

Agreed. "Classic Mixing" is a beautiful thing :cool:

Back