DaUnknownAdmin.Com
  • Welcome (Back) To DaUnknownAdmin.Com I've been able to restore the databases for DOFCH.Com, Freestyle.FM, and WhatChaMissin.Com. (There's also a tiny gaming clan forum.) You should be able to log in using your old login information. If you have forgotten it, you can reset your password. You can also use the facebook app to log in. Be sure to drop by our Roll Call Thread

If I helped you to log in by resetting your password, be sure to change the password at https://daunknownadmin.com/forums/index.php?account/security

Looking For Lost Freestyle Classics

LuisD74

Hi everyone - just joined the forum. I'm thrilled to realize that Freestyle is still in the hearts and minds of many people and that this unique style of music still lives on to this day, be it underground or through scattered revivals. I have always been a huge fan of the genre ever since I was a child growing up through the 80's and early 90's. Freestyle is pretty much the only type of music I listen to, and I consider it the only great music genre of any genre, of all time! There's so much great stuff by so many great artists. Many of those performers unfortunately were one-hit-wonders while others only have a handful of hits to their credits. Which means, basically, that there were limited first-run pressings of their music on vinyl. I thought I had a definitive library of the better-known Freestyle hits in my collection until I came across a box of old cassette tapes and played some of them. I discovered a treasure trove of awesome tunes (mostly recorded off of radio broadcasts 15 to 20 years ago) that now I'm frantically looking for but am having a hell of a hard time locating anywhere. I hadn't realized all the stuff I'd been missing until I played those tapes. I've been lucky and have been able to find a song or two here and there but for the most part I've been hitting nothing but roadblocks in my quest to track this stuff down. Some of this material never even made it to CD! So I'm appealing to all my fellow Freestyle fanatics - I need your help finding some of this stuff. I'm gonna list what I believe are the song titles (to the best of my ability - some of these tapes only contained part of a song, some were unintelligible) and if anyone knows who the performer, album, or song is and can tell me where I can buy a CD/CD-R, I'll be forever in your debt. Here goes:

1) "(My) Special Love". This was more like a Freestyle ballad - it was slow, the female artist sounds a bit like Nocera, who performed "Let's Go" and whoever it was, sounded very young. The "My" in the title is in parenthesis because I'm not sure if that's the actual title of the song. Also, there's a song by LaToya Jackson with the same title (It's not the one I want). Some of the lyrics are similar to the lyrics for "Let's Go".

2) "I Don't Need A Sugar Daddy". All I kept hearing was "I Don't Need A Sugar, Sugar, Daddy (to find my way home) on this tape but there are literally dozens of songs with "Sugar Daddy" in the title out there, beginning with the Jackson Five. I'm classifying this a Freestyle song even though my feeling is the performer might be African-American, very young, female, and quite possibly a member of a singing duo or group from the late 80's or early 90's. The song could very well be a Jackson Five remake, who knows? I gotta have it!

3) "Who Will It Be?". Some of the lyrics: "What one has, the other has not; what one gives me, the other does not". Could be by Sasha or Arlene.

4) "It's Too Late" (to change my mind, we can't turn back the hands of time, it's too late to be with you, 'cause you have found somebody new...") ????

5) "Soaking Wet", (you've got me soaking wet..."). Arlene????

6) "Don't Go Away (From Me)". Freestyle/pop.

7) "When the Time Is Right". More like a freestyle ballad. Performer could be Alisha or Sasha.

8) "I Want You Loving Me". Pop-ish Dance, touch of Freestyle.

9) I don't know if there's a song called "Love Is A Four-Letter Word" but that's what I thought I heard on a tape. It sounded like Samantha Fox.

10) This one is a bit of a mystery. The song title, I believe, is "Persuasion". Some of the lyrics are: "I know you know me, I know you care, I know you'll set me free, --- --- Persuasion..." The mystery stems from the fact that it's not really Freestyle, more like Depeche Mode or Information Society. The point is, the performer is a British male,and I distinctly remember the radio station having a "Freestyle Weekend" and playing this song a couple of times over the show.

Well, folks, what do you think? Am I making these songs up out of an analog tape-induced fever dream or do they really exist. Long live Freestyle! Thanks for you help.

3) "Who Will It Be?". Some of the lyrics: "What one has, the other has not; what one gives me, the other does not". Could be by Sasha or Arlene.

Arlene - Who Will It Be?

4) "It's Too Late" (to change my mind, we can't turn back the hands of time, it's too late to be with you, 'cause you have found somebody new...") ????

Nayobe - It's Too Late

7) "When the Time Is Right". More like a freestyle ballad. Performer could be Alisha or Sasha.

Sassa (Not Sasha btw) - When The Time Is Right

9) I don't know if there's a song called "Love Is A Four-Letter Word" but that's what I thought I heard on a tape. It sounded like Samantha Fox.

Samantha Fox - Naughty Girls

You can always check out Gemm.com, Musicstack.com, Amazon, cdbaby.com and my favorite source, Ebay.

Elvira - 4 Letter word.

I'm on my way out and will check out the rest when I get back. Btw welcome to the site and hope to see you in the chat room for he live shows. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Elvira - 4 Letter word.

I'm on my way out and will check out the rest when I get back. Btw welcome to the site and hope to see you in the chat room for he live shows. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

How about that. I thought he was referring to the line in Naughty Girls about love being a 4 letter word.

You learn something new every day. :)

How about that. I thought he was referring to the line in Naughty Girls about love being a 4 letter word.

You learn something new every day. :)
Could have been, who knows lol.

Arlene - Who Will It Be?

Nayobe - It's Too Late

Sassa (Not Sasha btw) - When The Time Is Right

Samantha Fox - Naughty Girls

You can always check out Gemm.com, Musicstack.com, Amazon, cdbaby.com and my favorite source, Ebay.

Thanks! You came up with answers to three of my most-wanted. Now I'm going to do whatever it takes to track this stuff down.

1 is probably April - Special Love
and 5 is Acacia - Soakin' Wet.

1 is probably April - Special Love
and 5 is Acacia - Soakin' Wet.

Thanks for the info on Acacia, Chuck. Knowing a performer's name is a big help when looking for a particular song/track, as opposed to just typing in a set of keywords and hoping it's the actual title, like I've been doing. I've come up empty, though, looking for Acacia albums. Every site I've been to turns up DVDs for a direct-to-video flick or some European artist. There's gotta be something out there for Acacia the Freestyle artist, don't you think? I'll keep searching....

Lost (and now Found!) Freestyle Classics

OK, Since I began my search for several of the "lesser known" freestyle songs last month, I'm happy to report that I have found most of the best ones, thanks to the recommendations and input from some of the members here (Thank you Quixotic, Chuck and Ted!). I was able to buy an April CD, which contained not only "Special Love" but a couple of other titles I'd forgotten about, and, a great little ballad that I had totally forgotten called "Magical". What a find!! Also, through sheer luck, I blind-bought an LP by a couple of girls calling themselves Keren and Chelle, whom I had never heard of, and they're the ones who perform "Sugar Daddy", one of my most sought-after tunes. I was looking for an African-American duo for this one, so I've learned not to assume anything or judge by only a voice. Super find!!

Now I need help locating other music. The catch this time is that I've only got lyrics, not song titles. I hope someone out there is up to the challenge and can help me identify and locate the artists and song titles with just the lyrics. Consider yourselves freestyle experts if you can ID any of these performers:

"With or Without You" - freestyle ballad. Also contains the line "I won't let you use me". Female artist.

"Don't Go Away (From Me)" - Freestyle/pop - female.

"Que Te Pasa?"

"I Love the Way You Love Me". A bit more like 90's R&B.

"Heartache" - "you're giving me a heartache, it's a fool's game, shame shame..." ????. More like a ballad, not necessarily freestyle.

"Rock, Steady", steady rockin' all night long.... 90's R&B-ish???

"Sweat Out". I thought it was Sheena Easton but none of her discography shows anything titled Sweat Out. Could also be Olivia Newton-John.

"Baby, You Can Drive My Car"

"Come Into My Life". 80's freestyle-ish ballad/love song.

"Cant' Wait, Gimme Your Love", I just want you now... Almost 100% sure it's Nancy Martinez but a search went nowhere. Another Nancy Martinez mystery song is "You've Got Me On Fire" but not the one that's on her "Unpredictable" album. Rather, it's sung a different way.

So, let's see if anybody can identify any of these tunes. Thanks!!

"With or Without You" (I won't let u use me) is straight up freestyle, NOT A BALLAD. Now that's assuming that you're talking about the one by Anne Marie.

"Rock'n Steady" is an 80s Pop/RnB song by a group named "The Whispers".

"I Love the Way You Love Me" is by Johnny O.

only que te pasa I know off hand is from Elissa
With or without you is from Ann Marie like Heartbreak mentioned
"come into my live " Joyce Simms
"Cant Wait" is def Nancy Matinez

Last edited by a moderator:
dont go away by jeanette i'll check my collection for sure

Thanks - I'll look it up. Here are a few more Freestyle titles I'd like to throw out there. As always, I appreciate the help.

"I Want to Make You Mine" - female performer.
"I've Been Watchin' You". Female performer.
"Someone Just Like You". This tune is more R&B-ish, with just a hint of Freestyle.
"I Want You Loving Me". Another Pop/Dance and Freestyle hybrid.

Also, I discovered that Nancy Martinez is actually French-Canadian and her original last name was Martin. Hmmm...I should never assume things. And, the Anne Marie who performs "With or Without You" is the same performer who sang cheesy love songs in the 70's? Just curious.

I wanna make you mine - Safire
I've been watching you might be "Knight Time"

I wanna make you mine - Safire
I've been watching you might be "Knight Time"

Chuck, thanks to you I picked up Sa-Fire's debut CD, which had some good songs. This is an album I should've bought a long time ago. However, the song "I wanna make you mine" contained here was not the one I was looking for. Any other suggestions for other Freestyle tunes containing a similar line?

only que te pasa I know off hand is from Elissa
With or without you is from Ann Marie like Heartbreak mentioned
"come into my live " Joyce Simms
"Cant Wait" is def Nancy Matinez

COME INTO MY LIFE by Laura Brannigan & Joe Esposito
WITH OR WITHOUT YOU by Anne Marie

Last edited by a moderator:
Back