DaUnknownAdmin.Com
  • Welcome (Back) To DaUnknownAdmin.Com I've been able to restore the databases for DOFCH.Com, Freestyle.FM, and WhatChaMissin.Com. (There's also a tiny gaming clan forum.) You should be able to log in using your old login information. If you have forgotten it, you can reset your password. You can also use the facebook app to log in. Be sure to drop by our Roll Call Thread

If I helped you to log in by resetting your password, be sure to change the password at https://daunknownadmin.com/forums/index.php?account/security

Legacy 2 Chicago - Jesse Settle Lead Singer

Legacy2Chicago

Legacy 2 Chicago - Jesse Settle Lead Singer of Legacy

The Official Chicago’s Own Legacy Freestyle Biography
Author: Jessee Settle; Lead Singer of Legacy

My name is Jesse Settle and I am the lead singer of the Chicago freestyle singing group. I have one sister and was raised by my mother and step father.
I am 37 years old and am of Puerto-Rican/Irish decent.
My entire life I have loved music. It has always been my passion.

In the late 80’s, I started my music career as a local disc jockey, spinning the turntables all through the South East side of Chicago.

Eventually making my way through the state of Indiana meeting great DJ’s such as the Indiana Terror Team and Jam Trax Productions.

As time went by, I would make stops on the North Side of Chicago where I have the opportunities to meet others such as the Chicago Super Mix Six and Cutting Crew.

Through my experiences as a DJ I fell in love with Freestyle music. I met so many inspiring DJ’s as well as music artists.

I’ve always loved writing songs and deep down inside, I knew that someday I would be able to write songs for myself.

In 1989, I decided to retire from the DJ-world and pursue a singing career in the music industry.

My singing career began when I met an up and coming Freestyle artist named Joel from East Chicago Indiana.
Joel is now famous for the Freestyle song “Prisoner of Love”.
Joel and I decided to unite and form a singing group “Duo”.
We shuffled through group names and decided on using the name Legacy.
The name Legacy was actually part of a project he had planned to do in the past but it didn’t work out.
The name originated as “Latin Legacy”, we removed “Latin” and it remained as “Legacy”.
We felt it had a better catch to it.

In 1989 & 1990, Joel and I recorded our first demo which most people don’t remember an original version of the song “Girls Do it Just For Fun”.
It was released on a label we created called “International Latin House Records”.
Along the flipside of that record was some added bonus music by Antonio Suarez Jr and Code 3 Records.
This was the beginning of what was meant to be the greatest Freestyle singing group to come out of the Chicago IL area as the Midwest Area.

Only 500 copies of that original Latin House Label were pressed and released.
It is now a collectors Item. Despite the fact that there were limited copies of the record being sold, Joel and I toured the city creating a huge buzz and following for Legacy.

We stopped at Radio Stations such as Chicago’s WCYC 90.5 FM “Freestyle Sunday Show” with Harv Roman.
To this day, he is a great friend of mine and whom I dearly respect.
We also made stops at Chicago WCRX 88.1 FM with Carrie Cortinez.
Carrie eventually became our manager and helped us become whom we are.
Unfortunately all good things have to come to an end.

In 1991 the progress of the group was moving very slow. Joel and I decided to part ways.
Joel went on and pursued a solo artist career under Chicago’s DJ International Records.
He released his first hit single “Prisoner of Love” which to this day I still believe was a great freestyle song. I will always have respect for Joel.
For the things he taught me and the concerts we did during our time together as Legacy.
As Joel went on to become a solo artist, I wasn’t ready to throw in the towel.
I decided to continue on my mission to keep the “Legacy” of the group alive and make it into a three man show.

In 1991, I went in search of 2 more members to join me on stage and decided to hire one of my good friends who was also a Disc Jockey.
He was known to everyone as “Hot Mix Javie”, but to family and friends, Javier Romero.
Javier brought a kind and charismatic feel to the group. I guess you could say the George Lamond of our group.

After Javier agreed to be a part of the new “Legacy” we needed to find one more piece to our puzzle. I remember hearing about this kid who was spectacular on the dance floor and had this super talent to be a rap artist.
Of course I also knew and loved break dancing, so I decided to add a hip hop edge to this show.

Juanie Rodriguez was tapped to join our group and he agreed to do so.
Thus the new and improved Legacy group was born.
That very same week we set out and interviewed with radio stations to put the word out that Legacy was now a 3-man group with two new members.
We advise all fans that we were in negotiations with several recording companies and were close to striking a deal a short term deal.
After several choices and negotiations, we decided to move forward and sign up with DJ International Records.
We chose this label because it was willing to release our music right away, where as other record labels even though they wanted us, they were not planning to release our music right away.
We wanted to make an impact on the music industry as soon as possible Freestyle music was beginning to fade away in Chicago.
With signed contracts, we immediately went into the studio and began recording.
Starting the with Re-mix of “Girls Do it Just For Fun”.

In 1991&1992 we released our first single of that song that song under the direction of one the greatest producers to ever grace his touch in a studio.
His name is JJ Flores. JJ brought a new flavor to Freestyle music such as spinning beats and bouncing sounds, processing them through gates (his signature break rolls).

All that was left to do was to bring the new Legacy style vocals to the table.
I did the leads and along with Javier’s crucial background vocals and Juanie’s hip-hop edged rap verses a new era of freestyle was created.
Some people might say we were way ahead of our time.
This new song was sent to all the radio stations in Chicago.

The word was out that this group was ready. Radio stations had it played on regular rotation such as B96, WCYC 90.5, and WCRX 88.1 FM.
It was a proud moment.
Legacy had put Freestyle back on the map in Chicago. We had to prove that this was no fluke.

In 1993-1994, we went back in the studio with JJ once again and wrote/released our follow up recording hit.
We called it “Stay With Me Tonight”.
This time with the help of B96’s top Freestyle DJ extraordinaire my dear friend “Tim Spinnin Schommer”,
Stay With Me Tonight came along with super fresh chants, harmonies and Rap as well. This one of the dopest productions from JJ Flores and Tim Spinnin Schommer. Local radio stations immediately grabbed the song.
Now Legacy had 2 hit singles on the top ten and Bill Board reviews.
We decided to put out two music videos for the first two singles.

The videos aired on ‘The Box 147” as well as “Street Mix Show” Channel 26 in Chicago.They later went on to air in other states.

By this time, we began touring other states and meeting new Freestyle fans.
We couldn’t believe how many fans there were across the U.S.
I’m talking Texas, NewYork, Detroit, Florida, etc etc. Freestyle definitely has a huge fan base.

I was also proud to know that Legacy has a ton of great fans across the U.S.
In 1994-1995, Legacy released what would be our last single called “The Time is Right” along with a music video which never had it’s chance to air.

It also included a cameo by Baseball Legend Chicago Cub’s Sammy Sosa. Juanie Rodriguez left the group and was replaced by Eric Perez.
Eventually Juanie came back to join Legacy once more.

I write this letter today to all of the Legacy Fans across the US that have wondered what ever happened to the group Legacy.

In 1995 I Jesse Settle lead singer of the group Legacy along with group member Javier Romero were placed in the Department of Corrections for something we did not do.

An unfortunate circumstance that was beyond our control.
Both Javier and I have been incarcerated for the past 14yrs and still counting.
We are still fighting for our freedom.

Today I am calling on all the Freestyle Fans across the U.S. to come together and please help us come home.

If you continue on this site you will see a petition of Clemency for a Sentence Reduction addressed to our Illinois Governor posted soon. Please stay tuned for more on the petition. You will need to write to us separately.
We are not allowed to receive mail for 2 or more people.

We can only receive individual mail written to each one of us.
You can’t write a letter to me and include Javier’s mail in the same envelope. Must be separate mail.

I look forward to receiving letters from every one of our fans and promise to write to all of you back.

In closing I would like to advise all of the Legacy fans still out there not to be fooled by anyone out there who are promoting Freestyle concerts
with the group name “Legacy” because your not getting the original and true members of our group.

I would hate for our loyal fans to spend their hard earned money for something they are not going to get.
Anyone out there promoting any concert events with Legacy on the bill is only trying to make a quick dollar off the name and has no intentions of helping us.

With that said I end this bio and hope our fans will consider helping us with our current situation.

I look forward to your letters and comments.

A special hello to all the Freestyle Artists out there and all the thanks to every Hot Mix tape DJ local and radio.

God Bless You All.

Jessee Settle

Myspace.com/Legacy2Chicago
Legacy2Chicago@yahoo.com

Write to me personally at:

Jessee Settle - K53087
2600 N. Brinton Ave.
Dixon, IL 61021

Note:
You can purchase one of our rare songs "I Couldn't Live Another Night Without You" at our Myspace website.

You can download here:

http://www.songcastmusic.com/profiles/Legacy2Chicago

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong information posted

I found a link from the Chicago Tribune from July 28 1998 written by Terry Wilson who is a tribune writer. The articles title is Fugitive Misses Trial but Hears Conviction. It states that Javier Romero skipped bail and became a fugitive. It states that the FBI found him with his sister in Los Angeles. It also states the Jessie Settle pleaded guilty to the crime of murder and robbery. It does not make sense to me on why these convicted men are stating that they did not commit a crime if one of them pleaded guilty. I can kind of understand someone pleading guilty if they are innocent if a plea bargain is considered due to unsurmountable odds that do occur in our justice system. The only scenario I can imagine is if the evidence is irrefutable and the accused is looking at the death penalty. The article stated that Javier was waived the death penalty so that the prosecution can proceed in the trial while Javier was a fugitive. So many questions and I hope this sparks inquiry to produce information people have but have been silent to bring forth. Growing up out here I always heard a rumor that one of them was having an affair with a police officer who did the detective work in this case. I also remember hearing about how one of them purchased the bike but was set up by Juan Miguel and Eric. I also remember Eric having a drug addiction and owed alot of people money. But these are all just rumors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually was told the entire story from some sources that have to be correct and this article from the Trib has it close but not exactly right.

I have always been fascinated by this story. Legacy is among my favorite freestyle groups. I would love to know the exact story...and hope they truly are innocent.

these men are guilty of the crime they committed.. what they did is so unforgivable.. it angers me to see they would actually tell the public that they are innocent. most of that tribune article is true. and yes Javier did flee the state and they did purchase a bike with the money they stole from the victim. How dare they say they are innocent. i really do have actual and reliable information. but in the end, it doesnt matter because they are being punished for what they did. but prison really is not enough...

The cops found almost 10,000 dollar in Javier's house and he just bought a bike and just gave his landlord 1,000 dollar.this is on police files. They only made 300 dollar a show, and Javier did have a job but back then he must got like 250 a week if that. ain't no way he could of made almost 20,000 or had it already before the crime was committed. I know is that it was one gun that was shot and to me and from the police files everything did pointed at Javier. Jesse was involved was because his name was mantion but didn't have proof that he was involve. I don't know what happen but i do read alot about it from newspaper and court files. From what I read it was only 1 murderer not two

Once again, the article in the Trib has most of it correct but there's a few details that are off. The 2 "band members" were not drug dealers nor was the victim supposed to be thinking that he was buying drugs off of the 2 "band members". The real story is actually more trifelin' than the one told in the Tribune article, far more trifelin' actually. I think I can guess why it was told the way it was in the Trib article.

DISCLAIMER: Anything I know is cuz I know a lot of people close to the situation and people talk. Then I proceed to cross reference the different stories. It's like being a detective.

Once again, the article in the Trib has most of it correct but there's a few details that are off. The 2 "band members" were not drug dealers nor was the victim supposed to be thinking that he was buying drugs off of the 2 "band members". The real story is actually more trifelin' than the one told in the Tribune article, far more trifelin' actually. I think I can guess why it was told the way it was in the Trib article.

DISCLAIMER: Anything I know is cuz I know a lot of people close to the situation and people talk. Then I proceed to cross reference the different stories. It's like being a detective.

Im very interested in this story. You've done alot of beating around the bush but have never said specifically what you claim to know to be true....lets hear the actual story already lol

umm i know people that were involved in this situation...and im pretty sure the two band members were into drugs and selling them, which would make them drug dealers... and the victim thought he was buying drugs from someone else....

yeah its true jesse was not the one who fired the gun..but he was still there..he stole the money, and helped with the body...he was still involved which makes it right that he is serving time for it.

I know people that are very close to the situation.. the band members were into drugs and selling them, which would make them drug dealers. and the victim thought he was going to buy from another drug dealer.

umm i know people that were involved in this situation...and im pretty sure the two band members were into drugs and selling them, which would make them drug dealers... and the victim thought he was buying drugs from someone else....

You have the last line of it exactly right. I really don't want to talk about this further but there's just way too much speculation going on here. The victim was the drug dealer. The band members were supposed to be helping him out by being there for him during a large transaction. The band members were supposed to be his "friends". I think y'all should be able to piece it together from there.

DISCLAIMER: Once again, I wasn't there. I was barely in high school at the time. Anything I might know is from hearsay through connects within the Chicago freestyle family. These were stories that were shared with me several years after the fact. I'm only saying as much as I even am cuz there's some peeps on here who have spit some isolated facts regarding this(some of what are very accurate) and thus others are speculating based on those isolated facts.

Well, I have been working on this case for almost 3 years now and I know for absolute that several of your facts are incorrect. I believe in their innocence, but would like any help I can get (good or bad) to either prove their innocence or confirm their guilt. But one thing I can tell you for sure and that is they did not find ten thousand dollars in Javiers apartment. In the entire case they never accounted for no 20 thousand dollars. I believe they will be released soon and proven innocent, but we will see. Please, if you think you know anything for "fact" or can point me in a direction to somebody who does know "facts" and would be willing to talk to me, I am willing to listen.

Back