• Welcome (Back) To DaUnknownAdmin.Com I've been able to restore the databases for WhatChaMissin.Com, Freestyle.FM and other sites. You should be able to log in using your old login information. If you have forgotten it, you can reset your password. You can also use the facebook app to log in. Be sure to drop by our Roll Call Thread

If I helped you to log in by resetting your password, be sure to change the password at https://daunknownadmin.com/forums/index.php?account/security

Harmonic Mixing

DaUnknownAdmin

Captain Casual
Staff member
Administrator
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
I've tried it with Freestyle and to be honest didn't notice much of a difference. Maybe I'll give it another try since we're not doing much DJ-wise on the site.

TearEmUp

Mixologist!
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
It is awesome for use when house mixing. The rule of thumb is fairly simple. Once you've wrapped your head around it, that is. I use the Camalot system which has replaced the key with a numerical value.

Notice the layout of the Camalot wheel. You have your Major keyes, and your minor keys. When mixing move up and down the graph. For example. If you are playing a 7B (F Major) Your next song can either be an 8B or a 6B or a 7A or just a 7. The trick is not to stay in the sevens (or any key) for too long. If you mix over three or four songs in just 7 (A or B) the ear will become numb to variations in key. So I use up, or down, depending on the mood I'm trying to set.

After say 45-50 minutes of mixing you will want to "nudge" the crowds attention a bit. So, I jump a major fourth. Once again using 7B as my base. I will jump to a 3B, or an 11B. You can also use the rule of four for every blend, and move around the wheel that way.

Now you should keep in mind, It is not a perfect system, and you do not need to be married to it. If you are sure a song will fit, and the Camalot wheel says it will not, do it anyway. That is the real trick to using Mixed In Key. Knowing when to abandon the system for your own intuitive style. Most DJs use a similar system, without even knowing it. We can hear what will fit, and what won't, by nature.

The last nugget of using Mixed In Key. No software is perfect at defining which key is what song. So, you must keep that in mind. And remember it is a suggestion list, not a demand list. If you can do that, then mixing with keys is an awesome way to make your blends sound smoother to the ear, and keep your guests entertained, without too many train wrecks.

I do agree with Raf, when I mix Freestyle, I never use the Wheel. Freestyle is more of an emotion than house. House is more about the DJ setting the vibe. Hope that helps Coast.

DJ_COAST

ClubFreestyle.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Terry could the Mixed In Key program be combined with Serato. Is this more of a production thing, or could this be done live say with the Serato and a 3 decks. I have dreams right now of throwing down an accalpella and two intrumental (using different keys from each one) and making kiler remixes. Man the possiblities...whew...djc.

TearEmUp

Mixologist!
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
I use it live all the time. When I had my show here I used it 90% of the time. I am not sure about Serato's set ups but, I imagine they have a way to add Camalot info to the file patterns.

DaUnknownAdmin

Captain Casual
Staff member
Administrator
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
I think Ted has his Serato set up with Keys, I'm sure he'll post up if he does and will probably tell you how he did it. He told me once, but like most of our conversations, I just wasn't paying attention at the time.

Ted

Freestyle.FM Referee
Staff member
Administrator
DOFCH.COM
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
To answer the question Yes, Mixed in key is compatable with Serato. Also serato has it's own key function. With freestyle it's ok but needs some help due to all the elements the genre has. I use mixed in key to do all my tracks cause, I also use the camalot wheel,