• Welcome (Back) To DaUnknownAdmin.Com I've been able to restore the databases for WhatChaMissin.Com, Freestyle.FM and other sites. You should be able to log in using your old login information. If you have forgotten it, you can reset your password. You can also use the facebook app to log in. Be sure to drop by our Roll Call Thread

If I helped you to log in by resetting your password, be sure to change the password at https://daunknownadmin.com/forums/index.php?account/security

digital or vinyl

what's your style

• Total voters

DJ_COAST

ClubFreestyle.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Lets hear it, DJ's do you spin wax, cd's, or computers???

I spin strictly vinyl, eventually I plan on adding a CDJ or two to my setup, but just for occasional mixing with the records and for sound effects I can put onto CD.

Last edited by a moderator:
i know with vinyl you have to have talent to mix,but with all this technology out now, you can make really good mixes with just about any song so i don't know.i guess it depends on how well the dj mixes.

3pm

Serato w/1200's @ home, Serato w/Denon controller for mobile and Serato w/CDJ's @ 'da club.

SSL on my MacBook Pro go with me everywhere.

I can't vote on this thread although I personally use vinyl. either with SSL or VDJ or just plain old vinyl like I will use on wednesday.

Its not what you use as far as equipment though. its what you can do with what you've got and as long as the dancefloor is moving your doing a great job!

DJ_COAST

ClubFreestyle.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
I can't vote on this thread although I personally use vinyl. either with SSL or VDJ or just plain old vinyl like I will use on wednesday.

Its not what you use as far as equipment though. its what you can do with what you've got and as long as the dancefloor is moving your doing a great job!

Welcome aboard DJW

TearEmUp

Mixologist!
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
No offense Coast...this debate is worn out. I agree with Dev..it does not matter what you use as long as your customers are happy and you rock the house.

DJ_COAST

ClubFreestyle.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
No offense Coast...this debate is worn out. I agree with Dev..it does not matter what you use as long as your customers are happy and you rock the house.
No debate, just wandering how many vinyl dj's are left. I surely want two of the Pioneer CDJ's, and will own a pair eventually to compliment the decks. For mobile dj's who do it all, its so much more conveinent. I was at a wedding a couple of years ago and saw for the first time the Serato set up, I was impressed. Plus you can still bring in a bag or two of records for old time sake. How many people are on the dancefloor is the most important factor like you said...:)...djc.

of course although I'm mostly a club DJ as opposed to a mobile DJ. the digital era with software and tcv/tccd is definatelly a nice way to go since you can still haul around your decks and save yourself the backpains from carrying all those crates of vinyl with you.

Digital.

I was a Vinyl DJ for years then CD's now you can't beat the speed and accuracy of going digital, Tracks are easy to search and with the Pioneer MK3 you can mix and scratch just like vinyl. plus you carry a hard drive instead of boxes of cd's or records. easy on the back.. LOL!:eek:

varrinique

FM MoDz
Freestyle Nation
FreestyleMania.com
ClubFreestyle.Com
NHBFreestyle.Com
FreestyleRemix.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
MaximumFreestyle.Com
LatinFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
if i were a DJ, i'd be DJ White Devil's clone with all that vinyl :)

MixmasterTonyRocca

Industry Peeps
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
I was not going to go into the debate of wax vs. digital...but being just too much OG in the craft I actually thought of a really good way of trying to show tangible that vinyl will ALWAYS be superior for a DJ. This explanation is complicated but I want to explain it to the lowest common denominator so if I get at least one digital dj to say "Hmmmm" it was worth the effort.

Here goes...

Vinyl is for true club DJ's that have actual skills...why:

1. Convience is not an option in their mind..some say records are heavy..yes they are..if you don't want to carry them anymore or have your boy carry the stash you should not be in a club environment anymore because you no longer have the advantage of the instant spontaneity that vinyl gives you. No digital media EVER can compete with what I just said.

I can out cue anybody that uses digital media...because with digital you have to pre-set your cue points unless you have a tremendous memory where shit is on the mp3. I don't because I mix by "feel" and "feel" is spontanous not pre-set.

When you take that level out of the dj equation you just become a beat-lock jukebox...something that most digital dj's are.

2. The "feel" I am referring to is something that you cannot get with digital recordings. This concept is very tough to explain to you guys, but guys that spin vinyl know what I am refering to..sort of like the old statement "he is driving by the seat of his pants"...playing digital is like IMO having a NASCAR driver running his race car remotely from his house by computer..that "feel" is just not there anymore...and the "feel" is what elevates your DJ game and makes you great.

I think digital has it's place for the amateur or bedroom dj, but for the top of the A-list DJ's that are real, real good they will be spinning wax.

Just some of my personal thoughts..because I have been there and will always keep my DJ game at that level otherwise I will just pack it up and just be a fan of the music and not a painter of the music.

Hope some of it or all makes sense to you...

in reality they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

one I just cannot agree with at all is number 1

how can you not be spontaneous using digital media? your still going to browse your CDs or mp3 list for a random song at times. if you've never tried the TCV option from many digital companies available (Serato scratch, Virtual Vinyl, and more) maybe you should give one a try sometime and see how much faster you can load a track and cue it up compared to cueing a genuine vinyl.

now your talking about cues on CDs and mp3s.....I remember using and in reality I am still using this feature on vinyl. Its called tape or markers to make quick cueing because there is no way in hell that I will memorize over 300 000 vinyl's grooves.

Number 2 is pretty much spot on though. with a turntable your doing everything manually compared to cds where the machine does it for you at the press of buttons. for vinyl its about manipulation and not button mashing lol.

kind of like playing sports in real life or mashing buttons on a joystick playing the same sport as a video game.

If digital was really for amateurs and bedroom DJs, can you explain why most of the top DJs around the world are switching over to digital?

now you can attempt to try and make one better then another although do some ressearch and see if Jazzy Jeff can still do his thing using digital media and so can Max Graham, David Sinclair and many other jocks.

Now I've always used vinyl, I have tried CD decks multiple times but they just weren't for me. I've gone the digital way as well because when touring I didn't like having to spend up to 3300$ in extra baggage costs. Now I can keep 3300$ in my wallet and still give a great show wherever I go.

Chuck

Who?
Staff member
Administrator
DOFCH.COM
FreestyleMania.com
ClubFreestyle.Com
NHBFreestyle.Com
FreestyleRemix.Com
NYFreestyle.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
:bump:

charliefli

Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
I started out strictly vinyl because back in the days there was no digital. Now that I've gone with SSL I think it's the best of both worlds when you use TCV.
If I'm looking for a song I just type it in and I don't necessarily have to put cue points since it has needle drop with vinyl. Plus, I think it gives you more creativity because you can arrange your songs by BPM and mix all different genres. In addition, you can't beat auto loop when you want to create instant breaks. The only thing I hate about vinyl is it wears out. I don't like that scratchy sound when the record gets old and I wish digital was out back in the eighties becuase there are so many songs that you can't get anymore and they would sound brand new since you can archivve them digitally. Back in the day all 12" freestyle records usually had an acapella and instrumental so you can do some great blends. I'm gouing to stop now because I'm going to get teary eye thinking of all my vinyl from back in the day that now sounds scratchy.:sniffle:

chuckie

Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
As being a dj who used to spin vinyl and now using digital. I will say that using digital as opposed to vinyl requires a lot more creativity. Why you might ask? Well i'm glad you did.

When you are digital, you have so many more options. Sure you can be a boring ass bedroom dj and just let the software beat match for you. BUT it requires more thought since there is so much more that you can do when you are digital. Take a look at edits. You still need to know what you are doing if you are going to do them. And when you are digital it beats the hell out of cutting up the reel to reel tapes :)

DJWil

FreestyleMania.com
ClubFreestyle.Com
LatinFreestyle.Com
Wow, we are still discussing this? It's gonna get really long.

DJing is a lifestyle to a DJ. It's a passion. That's why we've all gone back and forward , without agreeing him. It is like discussing politics. Everyone has their own point of view.

Believe me, I've gotten into long discussions about politics with my friend Redd because we don't see eye to eye in that topic. The discussions never end. Redd & I have agreed not to discuss politics any more. I'm a die hard Republican/Redd is an Independent.

We are never going to agree what's better for a DJ.

MiamiDJ

FreestyleRemix.Com
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays
Here is a DJ who has used technology to take it to another level. :cool:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6afd2ihJ3E[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_ByYNysMuk[/media]