DaUnknownAdmin.Com
  • Welcome (Back) To DaUnknownAdmin.Com I've been able to restore the databases for DOFCH.Com, Freestyle.FM, and WhatChaMissin.Com. (There's also a tiny gaming clan forum.) You should be able to log in using your old login information. If you have forgotten it, you can reset your password. You can also use the facebook app to log in. Be sure to drop by our Roll Call Thread

If I helped you to log in by resetting your password, be sure to change the password at https://daunknownadmin.com/forums/index.php?account/security

Brokeback Mountain

DaUnknownAdmin

Captain Casual
Staff member
Administrator
Freestyle.FM Dee Jays

Movie Review: Brokeback Mountain
Reviewed by Sam Bear of JoeCritic.Com
Stars (Out of 10): 5

One Word Summary: Dull

“Brokeback Mountain” is the story of two young men, a Texas rodeo cowboy and a Wyoming ranch-hand, who meet and fall in love in the summer of 1963. Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) dreams of the two moving onto his parent’s farm together, though he knows society will never allow it. Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger) is the more realistic of the two; although his marriage is far from perfect, he knows that the two can never share the life that they both wish for. Instead, Ennis and Jack live completely separate and often tragic lives, interrupted by brief moments of joy, usually shared near the site of their original meeting: Brokeback Mountain.

Let’s get this straight (pun not intended) right off the bat; “Brokeback Mountain” is a love story first and foremost. Yes, the love is shared between two men, but the idea is the same one that’s been used for countless heterosexual romances: two people love each other, but for whatever reason, they can’t be together. It’s “When Harry Met Sally” without the comedy or “Casablanca” without the war. Straight men will hate this movie as much as they hate any other “chick flick.” The fact that it’s about two men is almost irrelevant because the film is about being apart and not being together (plus, there are two scenes involving female nudity as opposed to only one male sex scene… not that I was counting).

“Brokeback Mountain” is going to win Oscars. It’s the kind of movie critics love: the story is controversial, the direction is terrific, the actors went outside their usual roles, and the dialogue is sparse. All of that being said, nothing makes up for the fact that it’s borrrrrrrrrrrring.

Ang Lee, who last directed the epic (and dull) superhero flick “The Hulk”, presents a stunning film filled with incredible landscapes and visuals. Unfortunately, like Sophia Coppola in “Lost in Translation,” Lee uses these visuals to compensate for an overall lack of depth to the film and its characters.

Annie Proulx’s short story, on which “Brokeback Mountain” is based, is only 64 pages long. How can a full length motion picture be made from such a short, short story? What dialogue “Brokeback Mountain” does contain is beautifully written, but this isn’t the type of story that can be told telepathically. There are two kinds of westerns: the shoot-em up westerns (see John Wayne) and the let the setting tell the story westerns (see “All the Pretty Horses”). “Brokeback Mountain” would fall into the latter category, except that it’s not a western. It’s a love story set in the west.

Granted I don’t share either trait necessary to fully identify with the main characters of this film as I’m neither gay nor a cowboy, but I’m not a 25-foot ape and I could still identify with King Kong. It’s hard to find either character truly likable, and although we root for them to end up together, we know from the beginning that it’s not going to happen. So what’s the point?

Heath Ledger is getting most of the pen for his performance as Del Mar, but the true standout of the two actors is Jake Gyllenhaal, who in my mind already deserved Oscar recognition for his performance in “Jarhead.” Gyllenhaal captures the manliness of his character as well as his vulnerability. Ledger’s performance verges on being a bad impersonation of Clint Eastwood in “Unforgiven.”

And a quick note to the make-up department: when you’re trying to make someone look older, there are better ways to do it then to give the character bushier sideburns. Thanks.

The Bottom Line is that this is a weak year for Best Picture contenders and “Brokeback Mountain” is being oversold. While it might be a good film through the well-trained and well-rested eye, it’s a bore and a drag through almost any other.

the chinese have come up with there own version called "IRON FIST MOUNTAIN"

the story of two shaolin priest who in between training sessions meet in a secret place in the mountains and express the love that has blossmed by "iron fisting" each other in the ass!!!!!!! "bow legged chen" and "muy fo" star

how can one not be insterested?

People need to seriously start being open-minded. There's too many of you, and so little of us.

I love my spagetti westerns and movies like unforgiven. I don't think it has anything to do with being open minded its more the entertainment factor. The subject matter and the setting of this movie doesn't really appeal to me.

I would much rather watch Bird Cage then to watch a western style coming out movie.

yeah, maybe for you. but you can only speak for yourself....

the truth is..people suck. now shut up.

LMFAO

im sorry...im fucking hysterical right now cause I lost all my data work that ive been working on for two days straight. im fucking STEAMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stupid sons of btches

Crystal, gay Cowboys never existed.

I got a book that says otherwise. Don't mess with me today. Do it tomorrow when I got my work done. pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, i beg you.

^LOL, I wonder how he knows that?
Nevermind dont answer that!

TAEZEE said:
the chinese have come up with there own version called "IRON FIST MOUNTAIN"

the story of two shaolin priest who in between training sessions meet in a secret place in the mountains and express the love that has blossmed by "iron fisting" each other in the ass!!!!!!! "bow legged chen" and "muy fo" star

LMAO! Now that's funny!!

DJ DXM :buttrock:

i finally got around to seein tha movie (was forced by my girlfriend)...it was honestly one of the top ten whackest movies i've ever had to watch....i almost broke up with my girlfriend for makin me watch it...thas how much i hated it!lol

I don't plan to see this movie... period! I rather see WETBACK MOUNTAIN again!

DJ DXM :eyebrow:

DJ Dee X-Man said:
I don't plan to see this movie... period! I rather see WETBACK MOUNTAIN again!

DJ DXM :eyebrow:

ROTF!!! Wetback Mountain gets my vote. :booya:

Crystal2001 said:
yeah, maybe for you. but you can only speak for yourself....

the truth is..people suck. now shut up.

LMFAO

lmao!

Crystal, that's why I love you.

I saw Brokeback in the theater 10 times, and took a total of 12 to 15 straight people with me. They all came away lovin' this story, and thanking me for taking them.

This movie has affected my life in sooo many ways, all positive.

I read the story in the New Yorker maybe 10 or 15 years ago. Larry McMurtry did a nice job adapting it, but the story still has a couple of credibility problems. I believed the tent scene because they were drunk and lonely and even spiteful, but no way did I believe what went on the next day. The Heath Ledger character getting all lovey dovey and playful? Nuh uh. The other unbelievable thing was at the end when the grieving parents give Heath Ledger their dead son's sweaty perfumed shirt to sniff forever. No fuggin way LoL

Other than that it was like McMurtry's other western, Lonesome Dove: boring, elegant, long. But with men doing doggy style. I spent most of the movie yawning or squirming in my seat.
Gimme "Shane" LoL :bananalam

They were Sheephearders and not Cowboys.
I think the acting is what really got me into this movie.
I was like...Thats Heath Fuckin Ledger...Oh Shit! Donny Darko is getting it up the ass. LOL.

The movie was good. But I loved Crash.

Back