DaUnknownAdmin.Com
  • Welcome (Back) To DaUnknownAdmin.Com I've been able to restore the databases for DOFCH.Com, Freestyle.FM, and WhatChaMissin.Com. (There's also a tiny gaming clan forum.) You should be able to log in using your old login information. If you have forgotten it, you can reset your password. You can also use the facebook app to log in. Be sure to drop by our Roll Call Thread

If I helped you to log in by resetting your password, be sure to change the password at https://daunknownadmin.com/forums/index.php?account/security

To DJs..

• A true DJ is ALWAYS SACRIFICING something in their life to keep their craft sharp and fresh. - (very true)

• Sacrifice is part of the DJ culture, without it you cannot be a DJ in every sense of the word. - (very true)

• Sacrifice like traveling the 5 boroughs of NYC to get the latest vinyl release, humping 500 records to a club gig, telling your girl "Sorry babe..I do love you but I gotta mix"...things along that I am sure we all have done one time or another. - (I am guilty of this, with my wife and 2 small daughters. I sacrifice time I can spend with them sometimes)
    (I've traveled very long distances to get the latest vinyl)

• But if you cut to the point of what is cool about being a DJ..that if done properly you provide a moment in time, a snapshot in a person life where they can honestly forget about the daily toil of life and it's many problems and just get lost in the music.- (very true)

• it is indeed worth the sacrifice and one that only a true DJ can understand.

:)

(very well said Tony!)

Wow..all very good and interesting stories.. A true DJ is ALWAYS SACRIFICING something in their life to keep their craft sharp and fresh.

Sacrifice is part of the DJ culture, without it you cannot be a DJ in every sense of the word.

Sacrifice like traveling the 5 boroughs of NYC to get the latest vinyl release, humping 500 records to a club gig, telling your girl "Sorry babe..I do love you but I gotta mix"...things along that I am sure we all have done one time or another.
[:)

So true Tony, right now, I must admit, I am so obsessed with the mix, that I will admit I am loosing quality time with my wife and son, which isn't right, but I am addicted to the turntables like a drug. I am going to the gym less, and I could be studying for tests I need for my career, but instead if have spent hours on the decks. You know me personally, so you know how passionate I am about my music.

With my above story, it actually was killing me when I couldn't dedicate the time I needed to become really good and well known, my job and family took precidence. Thats why I wish i started when I was a young teenager instead of when I was 21...I could of been great by the time I was 21. Then after 5 years of djing I joined the CG, which of course was a great move for my life, but djing was put at a standstill for 5 years....now I am back, but still it takes a back seat with family and my life at sea. Now I am 31 and I feel like I missed out on my true calling. If I could I truly would of rearranged things in my life to be a great dj where it was a full time job.

I will ad this, a Dj who does it just for the money, isn't a true dj to me. I have met many, who do it simply do it for the money, these are the same dj's I commented on who back in the day made 30 mixtapes with a bunch of sucky "filler" songs in the middle so they could sell more mix tapes instead of just having a few killer ass ones. And so thousands of these tapes were sold in the city, and you can just tell from their mixes there was no "love" felt when they were making it, they just wanted to throw songs together as quickly as they could to get their tapes out...lame...

If anyone remembers Dj Fox from Philly, he truly had great mix tapes back in the day, you can tell he did it for the love, he was great in my eyes, or should I say ears.

Right now I am obsessed with simply getting a sweet set together just for my friends to hear and to put on the DL site. And your right, djing does take you to another place away from the daily stresses of life. I always called my decks the "time machines".

P.S. I wish I knew you when you threw away all that vinyl...:eek:...

...greg.

I find it very interesting when these peeps talk about "live mixing" & how that's the real sh*t. I miss those days when the dj was something to be respected and looked up to, but those days are long gone. The sad truth is that for the most part, the dj playing live in the club or at a party is just "background noise" to the peeps in attendance while they socialize. DJs are a lot like bathrooms, every household has one. I gave up on all that live mixing skills stuff a long time ago. No one gives a f*ck anymore. I'm not doing anything unless it's going to be on a mix CD being sold in stores. That's the only mixing that I do for the most part. If I'm gonna put any work in, I want my credit for it. I don't care to be the "background noise" for people who don't know anything about or give a f*ck about music.

Ted;233269 [SIZE=2 said:
I no longer have the desire to be the best or even really good I just wanna have fun with it. That's why during my show everything is done on the fly and if I wreck I laugh it off and if it's good I still laugh cause it was just plain luck..lol It's now just a hobby at best for me. I actually don't touch my equipment except for when I'm doing the show or to ripp the vinyl..so at best I practice 4 hours a month, when in the past I did it 4 HOURS A DAY..LOL[/SIZE]

What would I change:
If I had the chance I would have never sold my equipment and found a way to continue DJing.

Next.

Nice to see the quality control is still there during the shows.

I find it very interesting when these peeps talk about "live mixing" & how that's the real sh*t. I miss those days when the dj was something to be respected and looked up to, but those days are long gone. The sad truth is that for the most part, the dj playing live in the club or at a party is just "background noise" to the peeps in attendance while they socialize. DJs are a lot like bathrooms, every household has one. I gave up on all that live mixing skills stuff a long time ago. No one gives a f*ck anymore. I'm not doing anything unless it's going to be on a mix CD being sold in stores. That's the only mixing that I do for the most part. If I'm gonna put any work in, I want my credit for it. I don't care to be the "background noise" for people who don't know anything about or give a f*ck about music.

Pretty sad post there.

Dude are you for real with this?

I make a little dough doing live mixing! It pays for many bills and it allows me to buy all the equipment I have! You might speak on your own experience because there are people out there who care who their DJ is and will pay top dollar for them. Some people go to clubs and could care who the DJ is but on the contrary many DJs build a fan base that follows them where ever they spin.

Dude are you for real with this? .

Sadly, from reading his other troublemaking posts, he is for real....us REAL DJ's know the REAL DEAL...I know where I come from and things have not changed, the dj is always the main attraction...djc.

Just looking form the pics in your event, you were tha star of the show...and I'm sure people came up to you giving you props and thanked you...I miss that feeling, I'm glad your still doing it holmes...djc.

A DJ makes the club dude. He sets the atmosphere, keeps people coming back, and keeps people in the club consuming. People follow the DJ to whatever club he goes to spin in. Once your name is known in the club scene, promoters kill to have you play on their night.

There are different DJs on different nights in a lot of clubs. When a better known DJ plays, that night brings a larger crowd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, from reading his other troublemaking posts, he is for real....us REAL DJ's know the REAL DEAL...I know where I come from and things have not changed, the dj is always the main attraction...djc.

Just looking form the pics in your event, you were tha star of the show...and I'm sure people came up to you giving you props and thanked you...I miss that feeling, I'm glad your still doing it holmes...djc.

Yeah I can see that that is what he is doing! I have gotten many compliments from many clients who have payed me well and then some. Some go to an event and don't care who the DJ is but many do want to know. So I don't know what this guy's issue is cause there are many guy's making a living on live DJ'ing!

I didn't mean nor did I say that there's not money to be made in live mixing. What I meant was that the sad reality is people don't really care anymore and haven't for a long time. Of course there top quality club djs, but very few have that kinda pull anymore where people will stop going to a happenin' club if a particular dj stops spinning there. They wouldn't even know or notice. All they would care is that it's someone behind the decks who can keep the music going & possibly play some songs they like. Good thing peeps are still making money spinning live cuz all that recognition, status, & respect thing left the scene a long time ago, at least out here in Chicago. How in the world could peeps not know what I'm talking about?

A DJ makes the club dude. He sets the atmosphere, keeps people coming back, and keeps people in the club consuming. People follow the DJ to whatever club he goes to spin in. Once your name is known in the club scene, promoters kill to have you play on their night.

There are different DJs on different nights in a lot of clubs. When a better known DJ plays, that night brings a larger crowd.

Wil, you hit it right on the head... The DJ scene is bigger than ever. DJs are getting PAID to do their thing. and I'm not talking about just the Top 100 DJs either.

. How in the world could peeps not know what I'm talking about?

Because your talking to Dj's who are still in the game and what your saying is nonesense.

I know of many Dj's in Philly, who have a following, Dj Too Tuff for example, his old school shows are the main attraction in whatever club he is spinning, people come just to watch him cut it up...

Because your talking to Dj's who are still in the game and what your saying is nonesense.

I know of many Dj's in Philly, who have a following, Dj Too Tuff for example, his old school shows are the main attraction in whatever club he is spinning, people come just to watch him cut it up...

I can only speak for Chicago. I can't speak for Alaska or Philly. Here in the Chi, the scene fell off hardcore a long time ago. People go to the clubs cuz of the name of the club & the reputation it has. For example, if a popular club like Excalibur was to get rid of their resident DJs, as long as they still played the same type of music on those nights & promoted it the same, it wouldn't make a bit of difference. That was the point I was trying to make.

I can't speak for Alaska .

Oh man, there is no scene here in Alaska...but else where I know there is. I slightly understand your point, its just when you post you come off a little offensive, I don't think you mean it, but it just sound thats way...cheers...djc.

Oh man, there is no scene here in Alaska...but else where I know there is. I slightly understand your point, its just when you post you come off a little offensive, I don't think you mean it, but it just sound thats way...cheers...djc.

Often times in life people are quick to take offense whether or not one is looking to insult them. When I post, whether on here or NYF, I spit the raw truth & in my world (Chicago), almost every scene (not just freestyle) has been down & out for so long that the reality from where I'm coming from is far darker than anything peeps from most other places are accustomed to. A lot of people have told me that after coming to Chicago from other markets. Stuff like, "people are happier & like to party more on the east coast or Florida. What's wrong with people in Chicago?" I'm not saying that peeps don't like to party at all out here, but there's this very dark, negative sort of an undertone to everything that only someone from Chicago could understand. I'm not saying it's right, but it is the world that I live in. I had seen something on the news a few weeks ago that Chicago is one of the most miserable cities in America. I'm not making it up.

I think "stagnant" is the best way to describe things out here. Ever since the late 90s, everything having to do with music has been very "stagnant" out here. Rap acts from the Chi such as Common & Kanye made it big by going through other places, not coming up step by step through the Chicago underground scene.

if a popular club like Excalibur was to get rid of their resident DJs, as long as they still played the same type of music on those nights & promoted it the same, it wouldn't make a bit of difference. That was the point I was trying to make.

No here you sound more down to earth but in your original post I though you were bashing all live DJs!

I can see what you mean by this but not all the clubs are the same. Maybe this happens to a few clubs but when a know DJ comes to a popular club down here like Club Space, I hear it gets packed.

I can only speak for Chicago. I can't speak for Alaska or Philly. Here in the Chi, the scene fell off hardcore a long time ago. People go to the clubs cuz of the name of the club & the reputation it has. For example, if a popular club like Excalibur was to get rid of their resident DJs, as long as they still played the same type of music on those nights & promoted it the same, it wouldn't make a bit of difference. That was the point I was trying to make.
That's nothing new... People didn't go to Studio 54 in NY because of the DJ, same can be said about the Limelight, The Copa, Latin Quarters, The Underground, etc. These are big name clubs in NY that were always packed regardless who the DJ was at the time. As apposed to clubs like the Devil's Nest and Fun House who's DJs put those clubs on the map.

But more importantly, Chicago is not the club spot of the world, so any trends that occur there most likely does not reflect what goes on in the rest of the world. Which goes a long way to explain why no one seems to agree with your assessment of the club scene.

No here you sound more down to earth but in your original post I though you were bashing all live DJs!

I can see what you mean by this but not all the clubs are the same. Maybe this happens to a few clubs but when a know DJ comes to a popular club down here like Club Space, I hear it gets packed.

Club Space (now that you mentioned it), is a very good example of the crowds that come because of the DJ.

This club was huge from 2000 to about 2003. DJ Edgar V made this club what it was. The crowds were huge because of him. Big name DJs would come and spin there in those years. DJs like Tiesto, Paul Okenfolds, Darude, etc..

Unfortunately, there was some kind of problem between DJ Edgar V & the club owner. Edgar was replaced. The result (Club Space has never seen the same large crowds, as when Edgar was the resident DJ).

I know Edgar. He's a very nice guy. He once invited me to a club he played at. There was a huge crowd.

Back